WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY OCTOBER 4, 2020

Hallo all.   Don't fail to check back and see Lindybird's lovely pix of Anglesey.

Rosy:  That's a tough one; maybe suggest she not commit to do all the work until the leaves and rubbish are gone and she can see what she's up against.....  Good luck.

Wrote my last batch of letters to prospective voters - this time in Kansas.  Have been following the headlines, but as usual with this White House, it's impossible to know what's what.a

It's my daughter's 60th today.  We tend to celebrate both sides of birthdays, so she's been the recipient of several days of treats, flowers, gifts with more to come (most noticeably the recliner which has yet to arrive).  I was really hoping to be there for her birthday but the new windows were scheduled to be installed in the AZ house this coming week so we decided I'd come early for them.  But now they've been delayed a week thanks to Covid (we hope that's all!) so I'm now planning to go a week later. 

Take care everyone.

• DIANE Love your story of the raincrow.
  • OG I too remember that Margo was a huge fan of Joe Brown. Not so sure about Tommy Steele.

Personally I am not a fan of the honours. Mostly they seem to be given to people who are already being paid vast amounts of money to do what they are honoured for.
  • Maybe Margo followed both Tommy Steele and Joe Brown? BTW, I had a bit of a "moment" yesterday when Facebook offered me Margo as a friend - her page is still up, as are those of a few other "late" acquaintances!
  • Good evening, all.  If anyone would like to see a few of my photos from this week click on this adorable blackbird:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:
    I had a bit of a "moment" yesterday when Facebook offered me Margo as a friend - her page is still up, as are those of a few other "late" acquaintances!

Ouch.  That's something Facebook needs to do something about (along with all the other stuff it needs to do something about!).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Great pictures again, Clare. Thank you so much.

Another miserable day here - rain, wind, cold ... but beautiful autumn colours. Hoping to get to Sheffield Park next week, weather permitting, and hope the rain hasn't downed all the leaves!
  • OG and all:

I don't know what can be done about Facebook pages that have remained up after the owner passes away. However, if you want to avoid this issue with your own page (that is, if you don't want your page to remain active after your death with no one able to do anything with it), follow these directions:

(1) Go to Facebook and make sure you are logged in.

(2) Click the little down arrow at the very top of the screen on the far right.

(3) Click on "Settings and Privacy" on the menu.

(4) When the next menu comes up, click on "Settings."

(5) A page will appear that says, "General Account Settings."

(6) Click on "Memorialization Settings: Decide what happens to your account after you pass away."

(7) Read your options. Choose whether you want a "legacy contact" (that's a friend or family member who can manage your page upon your death as you've instructed). Or, choose whether you simply want your page permanently deleted without a legacy contact.

I hope that helps some folks. 

• My OHs Facebook page is still there. My choice, I haven't wanted to delete it. I know that some will think that is crazy - maybe Margos widower feels the same as me. The way that we grieve is different for everyone. I still weep most days. 

• Heather: I don't think that's crazy. My brother's wife deleted his Facebook page immediately upon his death. I was very disappointed, because I wanted to go through it before it was deleted.

I think if you designate a legacy contact, that person has the option to save the page to his or her own computer or flash drive in a big file. So, even if the spouse and/or other family wants to delete it from Facebook, they can keep the file. The legacy contact would also have the option of simply leaving the page up. I know you have that option yourself: to copy your page to your own computer if you want to delete it from Facebook.