WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY OCTOBER 4, 2020

Hallo all.   Don't fail to check back and see Lindybird's lovely pix of Anglesey.

Rosy:  That's a tough one; maybe suggest she not commit to do all the work until the leaves and rubbish are gone and she can see what she's up against.....  Good luck.

Wrote my last batch of letters to prospective voters - this time in Kansas.  Have been following the headlines, but as usual with this White House, it's impossible to know what's what.a

It's my daughter's 60th today.  We tend to celebrate both sides of birthdays, so she's been the recipient of several days of treats, flowers, gifts with more to come (most noticeably the recliner which has yet to arrive).  I was really hoping to be there for her birthday but the new windows were scheduled to be installed in the AZ house this coming week so we decided I'd come early for them.  But now they've been delayed a week thanks to Covid (we hope that's all!) so I'm now planning to go a week later. 

Take care everyone.

• CLARE Oh so very handsome.
  •  OG  Do hope you are feeling better today.

We took a drive to Glen Affric today.  It was really on the cold side and we saw our first snow topped hills of the season. We were lucky to avoid some quite heavy showers when we walked Benson.

• Clare: So what was it that showed up on the garden fence? Fab photo of whatever it was....
  • Snow topped hill at Glen Affric

The only drawback was the miles and miles of single track roads with passing places.  So glad it is OH who does the driving!

• Unknown said:
    Clare: So what was it that showed up on the garden fence? Fab photo of whatever it was....

Sorry, Annette - it's a young cuckoo!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Wow, Clare - I thought it looked a bit cuckoo-ish, but it seems far too late in the year.
  • Wow. No cuckoos in our part of the world, but I remember then and yes it does seem awfully late in the year..... On the other hand, our night-blooming white epiphyllum put out five flowers this week, two months later than ever before....
  • Funnily enough I managed to see another young cuckoo at Minsmere last year - it was early September, which was considered to be quite a late sighting. For us to get one in our garden in early October is just awesome. It should be all right if it heads south in the very near future - it's still pretty mild here.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good evening – a much better day today, thanks. Actually enjoyed some baking this afternoon – Muffins (spiced sultana and apple) and Gingerbread (the soft sticky kind). Plenty of tasting. So nobody ate much tea – good thing we had our main meal at lunchtime!

Some lovely pictures from CLARE again – and yes, Glen Affric from DIBNLIB!

ANNETTE – lots of plants blooming at strange times this year – we have beautiful Cyclamen under the shrubs at the front with a lovely Broom (a bright sunshine yellow, nothing fancy), and a deep purple Hebe contrasting well. Both the shrubs had bloomed earlier in the year – in fact Hebe has borne flowers continuously since May 2019!
    Fetched the last cleaned curtains back from Dumfries on Wednesday, so OH has just hung the final pair in our bedroom – actually they are brand new as ours got damaged in the machines, so they got us a replacement - even ironed them before collecting, and some money off too!

Hasn’t felt like Friday today – I hope we don’t forget to have our customary cooked breakfast on Saturday!
  • LINDA - I’ve been confused all week what day it is, even though I had 2 “events” in my social calendar.

CLARE – I wouldn’t know a sparrowhawk if I saw one nor this lovely bird. OK I know it’s not a kookaburra. . . [Later] I see ANNETTE has asked for me. A cuckoo!!! Wow, I’ve never knew they were so beautiful. Those feathers!

HEATHER – Love your “words”. PAT - Not too risque for me but perhaps not suitable for church.

DIBNLIB – Thanks for pics

OG – Glad you are feeling better

Lovely sunny day. Weather girl says temps are going to bump over next few days. Up, she means. Of course, when school returns next week.