WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY OCTOBER 4, 2020

Hallo all.   Don't fail to check back and see Lindybird's lovely pix of Anglesey.

Rosy:  That's a tough one; maybe suggest she not commit to do all the work until the leaves and rubbish are gone and she can see what she's up against.....  Good luck.

Wrote my last batch of letters to prospective voters - this time in Kansas.  Have been following the headlines, but as usual with this White House, it's impossible to know what's what.a

It's my daughter's 60th today.  We tend to celebrate both sides of birthdays, so she's been the recipient of several days of treats, flowers, gifts with more to come (most noticeably the recliner which has yet to arrive).  I was really hoping to be there for her birthday but the new windows were scheduled to be installed in the AZ house this coming week so we decided I'd come early for them.  But now they've been delayed a week thanks to Covid (we hope that's all!) so I'm now planning to go a week later. 

Take care everyone.

• OG – You wrote “…and I have to stop there as the beans are just coming indoors for me to prepare them for lunch!” I can see them marching in a la Fantasia. . .

ANNETTE – Nah, OH can’t be bothered going out just to sit in car. I mentioned to Dau#2 that I wanted to photo a series of old buildings near a new shopping, etc development, one she knows. I said the best vantage point now was from a narrow delivery laneway. To my surprise she volunteered to be my “eyes in the back of my head” to warn of approaching vehicles.

DIANE – Wonderful webcams. But terrible news of condors in fire.

We had more rain yesterday (19 mm). Supposed to be dry today. Dau & Trio are visiting us for lunch Wed. I have decided on sandwiches for adults and “hot puppies” for Trio. That’s what my girls named cocktail frankfurts many years ago.

• Just a thought

But sometimes, in tight corners, when your back is against the wall and the world is against you, you have to fight back in unexpected ways. (Caroline B Cooney)

• Diane:  Ugh.  I read the comments on the Condor page and there've been some sightings of live birds -  RIght now it's just showing a burned-out area.  

AQ:  Sweet of your daughter to keep an eye out.  Too bad about your OH though (mine's the same, but I just take myself off.  He hates driving trips; I love them.)  

Cooled down quite a bit this afternoon.  I'm sitting here typing and watching the hawk, which has just landed on t he telephone wire outside my window.  Off he goes.......  

• Dry here and a pink sky from the sunrise I just missed.

I read about the plight of the condor nests after the last round of fires, so hope it's not as bad this time. Must be heartbreaking for those trying to help these wonderful birds.

OG - yes, blinkin' spellchecker thing often changes what I put when I'm on the mobile phone writing. Missed that one! I did once switch it off, but it was useful as it often finishes your words for you so then I missed having it.

Going to have a day cleaning today - all the floors look dirty and where does all the dust come from? Have a good day, everyone.
  • DIANE - have enjoyed the Condors previously - must have a quick look later today - if they have the power.

AQ - good to see Dau has offered to help access for the photos you hope to take. Enjoy the family visit Wednesday - I think I might sneak a hot puppy, even tho I am a sandwich-loving adult!

ANNETTE - glad you got a bit of Cool - and a good view of Hawk. He certainly seems to include you on his daily itinerary!

LINDA - dry here too, with some early sunshine after night rain. I blame the sun for showing up dirt and dust.

OH seems to be coping well with the routine cleaning again - and I have even persuaded him to "think about" finishing off my wetroom since the floor was changed about a year ago! He is away to Tesco this morning, and will be Zooming this afternoon, and I need to do some online ordering. J is sleeping better with the med - drowsiness is supposed to give him more sleep to feel a bit better before the main calming effect kicks in.
  • OG - I must have missed something, have you got window problems or is it just painting? It's good that J is getting better sleep with the meds. My brother is currently taking Pregabalin following his stroke but can't wait to wean himself off it as it is making him drowsy! I think the idea was that it would help him with the inevitable anxiety post stroke and I have tried to explain that to him but it is like talking to a brick wall.
    AQ Good to see your crabapple, your Spring and something for us to look forward to!
    We can buy mini frankfurters here in M and S. They are called Posh Puppies !
    LINDY - dust here, also. I walk around with a feather duster type thing, flicking it here and there. I find that living alone makes one quite lazy....
    PAT - I enjoy your descriptions of days out, etc. You are good with words :-)
    CLARE - did you really have to mention chipolatas ?!! And here I am without a sausage in the house. Or a posh puppy.
    LYNETTE - I do hope that your daughter in law will not have another +ve result. And well done to her, for making the decision to retire. I, too, did 40 odd years of slavery- sorry, dedicated service (!) in the NHS. It wasn't until I left, to spend more time with my OH,that I realised how burnt out I was. Or should that be burned?
    ANNETTE - how great for your daughter to have such an extended birthday x And the recliner to look forward to!
    It is the beginning of another solitary week, here. My family are all working so weekend days are precious. On Saturday, eldest daughter and I did shopping, came back here for lunch. Then my youngest arrived for a visit. Outside, in the covered patio area. It was so good to see them, especially Mia and Isla. I'd give anything for a hug but needs must....
    My son has changed his mind again and may come up here, on his own, and stay in a hotel for a few days. He won't make a final decision until just before his birthday, on 12th inst.

• Hello, HEATHER. Because we are on a corner, salty wind affects our windows on two sides. Strip of wood bottom of panes needs replacing before we paint - they are going spongy with neglect. Your Brother's medication sounds as if he is expecting a baby! I agree with you, he should give in to it to recover at the correct pace. Sounds like you had good family contact at the weekend. I hope your son will make his mind up soon - I know it won't be the same as having him to stay, but it would be good for you to look forward to a definite date.
  • The floors are done, so now I will try and be languid with the duster soon. Saw lots of dirt on the cupboards in the kitchen as I mopped, and made a note that it needs doing.

Editing now, as I wasn't sure that that last note would post. Heather, hope your brother can come up to see you. We are toying with the idea of going down to visit our Eldest with Christmas presents (are we allowed to use the C word yet?) by staying in a Premier Inn and only seeing them briefly, rather than staying in their house. 

Annette, I lived for my early years on the fringes of Dunstable, in the lovely hills of Bedfordshire. As the house had open fields behind it, and on the opposite side of the road, and we attended the tiny village school at Totternhoe, which was a village nearer to us than the big town schools, my bro and I grew up with a love of all the nature around us.

• ANNETTE Saw something in the local newspaper about whale song. It seems that scientists have now decided it is not to do with mating but is more to do with heralding migration. The article was from Swedish scientist working in Monterey.
  • I couldn't get onto the site all weekend....don't know why.

Love CLAREs thought on Tatler in a laundrette....who would have guessed.