Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 September 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL HARVEST MOON!

The moon turns full on Thursday, 1 October.

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe, healthy week! 

Check back to last week's thread for Lindy's photos and other posts. 

• Some of you might like this osprey photo to start your week.

• Diane: Thank YOU!  

Lindybird:  No wonder you bought the caravan in that region - it really seems like an escape.  Thanks for the photos.

Clare: Fabulous photo of the heron - and I can understand why you got carried away with the kingfisher.

I was wielding the rake and the broom for hours today, but the front garden looks much tidier - and I got to say Hi to neighbors who were out walking dogs, kiddies.  :-)   Tomorrow it's the back yard, which is much less work.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• DIANE - Love the osprey photo. I’m sure I can hear him (her?) muttering “I’ll stop those chicks demanding more and more food”.

CLARE – Of course our carols are very different to those UpOver. Here they are family picnic affairs outdoors in the summer evening & night. The largest is at Elder Park on banks of the River Torrens; many more in various parks around the suburbs. No way could authorities control social distancing with large clusters mingling sitting on rugs with their candles & snacks.

I have been listening to a replay on radio of the Last Night of the Proms. Not trendy enough to make it to be played on TV <sigh> We no longer get Carols from Kings nor Vienna’s New Year Concert.

Bilbies released to the wild. (The Easter Bilby has replaced Easter Bunny in many families DownUnder.)

• Just a thought

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

• Diane - Amazing picture. Thank you for sharing it.

Clare - Great pictures, as ever.

Just spent a couple of days with my family - first time since March. I feel more complete now, and just hope it won't be so long since we can be together again.
  • aquilareen said:
    Of course our carols are very different to those UpOver. Here they are family picnic affairs outdoors in the summer evening & night. The largest is at Elder Park on banks of the River Torrens; many more in various parks around the suburbs. No way could authorities control social distancing with large clusters mingling sitting on rugs with their candles & snacks.

You're right - the picture in my head was how carol singing looks in winter.  I hadn't realised just how different it was on your side of the world.

aquilareen said:
    Bilbies released to the wild. (The Easter Bilby has replaced Easter Bunny in many families DownUnder.)

I'd never heard of bilbies before and this was a lovely read!  Fingers crossed everything goes well for them.

• Morning all:

Diane: Hadn't looked at osprey pix first time round.   Incidentally, got an e-mail from a friend about a mine-detecting rat that has won Britain's top animal award https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/stories/2020/09/25/land-mine-clearing-rat-wins-britains-highest-animal-honor

AQ: Bilby story a great way to start off the  day. The people who do this kind of work are the planet's unsung heroes.

• ANNETTE yes, love the story about the rat.

LINDY Wonder how you are doing with the jigsaw. I am over 3/4 of the way through a 2000 piece jigsaw and really enjoying it. The worst part of course is sorting through 2000 pieces to find all the edge pieces. it is only the 2nd one I have done as big as this. If anyone wants to look it up, it is a Jan van Haasteren jumbo jigsaw entitled "The Christmas Tree Market" It is not easy.
  • Dibnlib: I finished the jigsaw, it was only 500 pieces. Photo on previous thread somewhere. You're brave, tackling such a big one!

Thanks to Diane for starting us off: I was too busy getting ready to go out this morning, to post. We have had a delightful day out on the nearby Isle of Anglesey- the sun shone all day and we went to places I've not seen since I was a teenager! (A very long time ago....) Pics to follow, tomorrow.
  • Meanwhile, a pic of a stubborn spaniel who caught/found a very dead, dry smelly fish on the beach tonight, but wouldn't let go!