Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 September 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SEPTEMBER EQUINOX

The equinox is Tuesday in the UK, US, and Australia!

Everyone have a safe, healthy, joyful week!!!

• All: I am sorry about the rise in UK COVID-19 cases and the subsequent new restrictions and sacrifices. Best to everyone.
  • HEATHER - I hope the new restrictions don’t spoil your son’s visit.

WENDY – I ’m fed up with being sensible while some idiots think they can do as they please. Enjoy your Dau\s visit.

OG - I did not consider how long I would continue the quotes when I began. But now it is part of my daily routine and it forces me to be positive even on “down” days. I am pleased that the quotes can spread wherever you send them.

ROSY – I hope they find your crown and let you know promptly. What a mix-up! Lost in the post???

LINDA - Thank you for more travel pics.

I met Friend for lunch, first time since before restrictions in March; it was strange being Out. NSW has continued with low numbers of new cases and last 2 days no mystery cases (source unknown). From midnight tonight our state is opening its borders to NSW. Now people from all states, except Victoria, will no longer need to quarantine in hotel (at own expense) for 14 days. I overheard a conversation in bakery that a couple are rushing back to join family to get married, with just 7 days planning. May your restrictions end sooner than dreaded.

Sad whales news. You may have seen that 270 pilot whales beached themselves on west coast of Tasmania. About 25 have been rescued and returned to sea but a few re-stranded, alas. Then today, news that a further 200 were seen on a beach south of the first.

• Just a thought

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. (Brad Meltzer)

• Good morning all
    I started the day by turning on my kindle, as usual. Last evening, while I was offline, my children had a chat. The upshot is that with immediate effect, my' family bubble, extended family', call it what you will, has changed. My extended family - the ones that I can meet with in my own home, be in their car, etc - is now, and for the foreseeable future, my eldest daughter and her husband and my granddaughter Katie, who live on the other side of town, just a few miles away. Previously, it was my youngest daughter and her family. Circumstances have changed and not only by decree of the Scottish government. Youngest son in law has up to now, been on a fixed rotation, on and off an oil rig offshore. That has come to an end, sadly and he is now working on an ad hoc basis for the same company. Added to which, they live 50 miles away from me. So a sensible decision has been made. I didn't make the first one, either !!
    I know that the decision has been made with my best interests at heart and I feel lucky to have such a caring family :-) They must have suffered a bit of emotional and physical neglect when growing up (!) as from the start I was what is often called a ' working mum ' ( is there any other kind?!). Shift work, Christmas dinner often not on Christmas Day, a tired and grumpy Mum who often had to miss sports days and school concerts. They seem to have thrived on neglect !!  Or perhaps they became better parents themselves, determined to improve upon their own childhood experiences.....

• Good Morning. Rather a damp start, here, but supposed to dry up later. We are off out for lunch again, a rare treat but then this is supposed to be a mini holiday.

AQ - Glad you managed a lunch out and that things are easing there. We are cross because we think that our problems here are partly because of people's stupidity, although obviously the children going back to school has had an effect. I enjoy your quotes every day but please don't feel you have to find time to do them if other things are more important.

Heather, what a sensible family you have. I'm so pleased it's now been resolved and you will be able to see your loved ones more easily. I'm sure you did your best as a Mum, as we all do, and your children know and appreciate this. I was often absent in a way as I struggled with depression for some of their childhood, but they seemed to grow up alright.
  • Unknown said:
    All: I am sorry about the rise in UK COVID-19 cases and the subsequent new restrictions and sacrifices. Best to everyone.

I'm sorry you're living in the country with the highest rates in the world!  Why hasn't the Orange Knob gone down with it yet?  Though, obviously, I hope Melania and their son remain safe.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:
    I am also enjoying your photography Clare

Thank you.  I'll try to keep it up.

Unknown said:
    I like your forthright opinions! Why not call a spade a spade?

No s**t, Sherlock.  I've never been any good at Spaffing and I don't see the point of it anyway.

You have my utmost sympathy for your ongoing tooth problems.  Keeping everything crossed that the torture stops next Wednesday.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• ROSY – sorry this has all hit again at the time of your OH’s diagnosis. I do hope it will soon be possible for someone to see him. Sorry about the dentistry too – how do they manage to lose a crown between them?

LINDA – enjoyed the pics of Caernarfon town, never been there myself – and didn’t even know it was a walled city! Enjoy your lunch today!

ANNETTE – wonder what thief did with a container of impressions/crowns or whatever?

AQ – pleased to see you are helped by researching the quotes, as well as the rest of us reading them. Good that you were able to meet Friend. Sorry about the huge whale numbers off Tasmanian beaches.

HEATHER – your Daughters have reached a sensible agreement, but it must be hard for you to “let go” of youngest and her girls. I suppose it will be possible for eldest to drive you over to Elgin to meet with them at a safe distance. I see there is no restriction on travel distances this time. Sorry you feel negative about your adequacy as a mother – I am sure your family had a much better life than many, and even if they couldn’t understand your absences at the time I am sure they understand now.

Difficult concentrating – OH is making loud phone calls to his pastoral list – most of whom are very deaf, so he has to shout! J has decided he will not go out today so it is a domestic day here – hope cleaning the study will be included!
  • LINDY How very sad about the wales.

HEATHER We have been to both Kingsmills and Ness Walk hotels for a meal and found both very pleasant places to be. They were taking social distancing very seriously.

OG my lack of swimming has certainly done me no good. I do miss it very much. DW has been taken over by Sports Direct but they will only be reopening 43 of 70 clubs and no mention of which, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • ROSY - I'm so sorry to read about your hassles with the appointments for your OH, and also your dental problems. I wonder where the wee parcel has come to rest?