Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 September 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SEPTEMBER EQUINOX

The equinox is Tuesday in the UK, US, and Australia!

Everyone have a safe, healthy, joyful week!!!

• Back again, after a lovely meal out.  Limpy had the beer-battered cod with chips and peas while I had a small beef lasagne with a few chips.  For dessert he had a rhubarb, orange and cranberry crumble with custard while I had an Eton mess sundae.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm .............. yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Sounds brilliant, Clare. I, like Limpy, love beer battered cod! Glad you had a good time.

Wild winds here: my OH came back this morning, only 20 mins after I had put in the last piece of the jigsaw.

He had a good journey although he encountered roadworks on the way. I suppose they're doing things to the roads now that the summer season is over. My sis in law Sue, just asked if we'd have to return home as she'd heard that there are now new restrictions in place, but they're mostly in Southern Wales, thank goodness.

• All posters advertising holidays by rail.

• OG -- Glad you're feeling less pain. We're staying until Wednesday - that way, my OH can get back for another Thursday of golf. :-)
    He won 2 prizes yesterday- one for hitting a par three in only two shots, and one for getting the best score for "an over 75 yr old! "
    My walking is not as far nor as fast recently - my legs wont carry me! I think I may have the beginnings of arthritis as my knees ache and I find I prefer walking on the flat.
  • AQ - Pleased you saw the chapel pictures. There are lots of them here; some quite small communities may have as many as 3 chapels, although of course they're often of different denominations.

Hard to photograph them when on the move, but I'll try to capture some for you.
  • With borders open, Dau#1 has flown to visit her eldest in Canberra. Media is full of pics of families greeting at airports, hugs all round, grannies smothering infants with kisses. No social distancing!

Much angst as C-mas carols & New Year fireworks cancelled. I have always thoughts fireworks a waste of money; better spent on hospital equipment for example. The annual C-mas pageant will happen, but not a street parade with 300,000 spectators. Instead 25,000, chosen by ballot, will watch (socially distanced) at the Adelaide Oval. FC has been given clearance to enter state. I wonder how the authorities will explain his arrival in Victoria.

Whale news. 94 have been manhandled out to sea and saved. Now they have to decide how to dispose of the 350 that died. I doubt there is enough land to bury them on that rocky coast. Towed out to sea they could be a navigation hazard.

• Sorry I didn’t pick up my phone. I got carried away dancing to the ringtone.

According to Archimedes’ principle, what happens when you jump into a bathtub full of water? Answer: The phone rings.

I wonder what people who spell “u” instead of “you” do with all their spare time.

• Lindybird said:
    Sounds brilliant, Clare. I, like Limpy, love beer battered cod! Glad you had a good time.

It's quite funny.  He always reads through the entire menu before settling on the same thing, every time we visit!  I usually have the ham, egg and chips but I'm glad I went for the lasagne as it was lovely.  Most unusually for me, I had the version for the smaller appetite - which meant I could have a dessert.  Everywhere should offer something appropriate for a smaller appetite - not everyone wants to leave the table feeling like all their seams are going to burst imminently.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• aquilareen said:
    Media is full of pics of families greeting at airports, hugs all round, grannies smothering infants with kisses. No social distancing!

Clearly nobody saw that coming ...... except for countless normal, sensible people!

aquilareen said:
    Much angst as C-mas carols & New Year fireworks cancelled. I have always thoughts fireworks a waste of money; better spent on hospital equipment for example.

I'm with you on the fireworks.  Carols, though, can be sung anywhere and by any number of people (socially distanced, of course).  I can see a lot of impromptu carol singing happening as we get closer to the dreaded December 25th.

• LINDY Like you, I much prefer walking on the flat as uneven surfaces do me no good at all. I have osteo arthritis in my right knee and just recently a foot problem which a phone call with a physio suggested was perineal tendonitis. As we mainly walk in the local woods everywhere tends to be uneven and stoney underfoot so I am limiting myself to one walk a day. This morning we walked at the canal which again is stoney underfoot but not as bad as the woods.