WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2020

Hallo all.  Have a wonderful week.

• I've had a good year, photographically. The much loved camera that Limpy bought me at the end of 2014 finally wore out early this year, after nearly a quarter of a million photos. I'm now using a spare one of his which is actually better than the one I was previously using and I am having a whale of a time with it!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare:  Those are great photos of the seal!

OG: Have you already had one hip replacement?   If a second would give you more relief and less pain, that would be wonderful.   So sorry that J was grumpy - those kinds of moods can be very hard to ignore.

Family arrived safe and again, thanks to Covid, a very fast ride due to people just not traveling as much.  Apart from the awful (for California) humidity, we had a good day and grandson again sent me off while he took over BBQ'ing.  Then he did much of the clean up.  He's turned out to be such a thoughtful kid after such a bumpy start.

Am shattered now and about to topple into bed.  Take care all.

• Much cooler today, about 18 C. I still have a slight niggling headache from yesterday’s dust (that red stuff from the Outback that picked up pollen & stuff and sets off allergies). We need a good shower of rain to settle it. Dau does not need me; I shall revert to my original plan of helping every 3 or 4 weeks. A good chance for each of us to “let off steam”. Our state has not had to form “bubbles”, but this can be mine. Victoria’s covid numbers are coming down. I see on news that UK is going bad again due to young folk not social distancing. Unbelievable high temps in California, and dreadful fires.

• The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about. (Wayne Dyer)

Knowledge is like underwear. It is useful to have it, but not necessary to show it off. (Bill Murray)

I know enough to know I know nowt.

• aquilareen said:
    Knowledge is like underwear. It is useful to have it, but not necessary to show it off. (Bill Murray)

From a female perspective, you could also say that it's useful to have it and it becomes quickly apparent if you don't (especially if you're ......... generously proportioned).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Waiting for Gas engineer - boiler failed for heating and hot water at bedtime last night - discovered when I had no hot water to wash my face. J was able to have a shower before work this morning with his usual electrically heated fitting in the "boys' bathroom". By the way, he apologised last night for the way he had been earlier.

CLARE - had a good look at the seal photos, and I was sure they were greys before reading other comments - but I am no good on Gull ID - they vary too often by age and season. Glad you are enjoying the substitute camera - I remember when you first had the other one!

ANNETTE - no hip replacement before - was a knee in 2007 and then plates and screws for broken Femur right near it in 2017 - that was when I had three months in hospital. Problem with further surgery is whether other joints would hold up while I rehabilitate - so many are moving bone on bone now. Glad family arrived after a good journey - and so good that your Grandson "stepped up to the mark".

AQ - sorry about those dusty north winds - enough to make anyone sneezy and headachy! Pleased Daughter's hand is recovered and you don't have to help so much.

All plans for today cancelled due to water - can get by without but would have preferred to know what we were supposed to be doing. I shall now grab OH to help with an order from Lakeland as their special offers end today. If I do it myself, I am sure to forget something he thinks he wants!
  • OG - I imagine that J is feeling out of control of his work environment at the moment, plus other things. My youngest has anxiety disorder as you know. Even the smallest things are tipping her over in this current situation. She is usually very good at challenging negative thoughts and using distracting techniques. Now, I am aware that catastrophic thinking is creeping in...
  • Good.... afternoon -- I was about to type "morning," but now it really isnt! Have read all posts and digested them but no time to reply, hope I will be forgiven.

Hope you've got over your tiredness, Heather. Now that we are no longer spring chickens, we have to pace ourselves!
  • Agree, LINDY ... I got very frustrated at the weekend watching the youngest family getting so much done, so quickly. I hate this getting older thing!
    The greenhouse is now cleared of staging ( think that is the correct word!) and ready to be dismantled. I had to go inside the house, rather than watch youngest. SIL saw the grapevine down. I'm a sentimental person, can't help it. I just have to keep reminding myself that OH would be happy that his greenhouse is going to be loved once more in another family garden. He spent so much time in there, tending to the vine, sowing seeds and cuttings and so on. Now it's time for the next generation to take over !!!

• ANNETTE - good that your grandson is such a willing helper :-) Indeed you should be proud of him.
    I was listening last night to reports of the wildfires. Not sure, this time, how close they are to you...
    AQ - Lovely that you and daughter can get together for an offload!
    OG - hope the boiler is fixed now. My maintenance is with Scottish Gas and they are very quick to attend us oldies....
    CLARE - there was a juvenile gull in my front garden at the weekend. I spent ages watching it sitting there and not interfering, as per advice from RSPB. Then it walked to the front gate which was open, awaiting youngest family. I was worried and phoned daughter's mobile to warn them, because I wasn't sure at that time if it could fly or was injured. The outcome was that when their car drew up to turn into the drive the gull walked off down the road. I didn't see that, was inside in the kitchen. However, when I was speaking about it, youngest granddaughter said that she had noticed that one of its wing/flight feathers was ' hanging down'. We went looking but no sign of it. You never know if what you do is right or wrong.... Certainly no adult gulls in the direct vicinity.