WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2020

Hallo all.  Have a wonderful week.

• Annette: Thanks very much. You got in two minutes before I did. LOL I had just typed that I was starting the new thread, and I realized that you'd done it. I was late tonight, because I had to walk up to our little general store to get some food. State road construction has all three of my major highways closed, so I haven't been able to get to a supermarket. The country roads around here are very rough, narrow, and busy with huge harvest equipment right now. Also, there's a big risk of hitting a deer if I take the farm roads. I did advise the Highway Department that I didn't appreciate being unable to travel north or south, and possibly they may want to put more thought into their planning and show more respect for us hillbillies in the future. I didn't turn the air blue, but it took great restraint!!! LOL

• HAPPY FATHER”S DAY

Remember: What dad really wants is a nap. Really. (Dave Barry)

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong. (Charles Wadsworth)

A father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.

• Hillbilly, Diane? I hadn't quite pictured you wandering about with a straw between your teeth.

At least those road closures will make life difficult for the gun-toting crowd as well. I'm still trying to picture a society where casually wandering around displaying a fire-arm is considered normal and everyday. It certainly doesn't come across as the 'Land of the Free' to me.
  • Clare: I live in the poorer, very rural, backwoods part of the county. So, the state's politicians think of us as powerless hillbillies, and they don't care if we can't get to supermarkets, hospitals, or doctor's appointments. I'll wear the term hillbilly proudly, because the government's classism profoundly angers me. I'd drive the backwoods farm roads to get groceries, but I'm scared of hitting a deer or a coyote.

We haven't been the "Land of the Free" for a long time.

Hope you're okay, Clare. 

• Wildlife and countryside-wise I think you live in a fantastic part of the world. Limpy would love it!
  • Good Morning. Dry here but not any sun, really - at least it's not raining, so we can go out!

Thanks to the Hillbilly Group on here, namely the lovely Diane, for making us laugh. And Thank You to Annette for starting us off again - can barely believe it's Sunday again - didn't we just have one??
  • Morning all:

Diane: Did you ever read Hillybilly Elegy by J.D.Vance? He's a graduate of Yale Law School who grew up in poverty in rural Kentucky. It was published in 2016. I liked it.

Clare: Diane lives in 'fly-over country' which is generally assumed to be ignored by most politicians (Diane, correct me if I'm being too simplistic) who see their power/money bases as being on the 'elitist' East and West Coasts.

Arizona contingent (all three) arriving tomorrow for four days - stuff to do here. Grandson and partner will come down from Arroyo Grande for the day, so a full house. Have been trying to whittle down various bits and bobs for a trip to the charity shop (some of which are old gifts from family). Hmmmm...

• Hello everyone. Bumping us up. Nothing of much interest to say today.
    Thanks to all for supportive comments last week.

We had a garden committee meeting this morning and walk around the garden Several neighbours joined in. Everyone has their own ideas, many of them highly impractical. Some people amazed that trees actually grow large.
    I had to explain that there are some gaps in the borders, as we were unable to obtain plants during lockdown, and planting later during the hot weather would have required too much maintenance. We did have a few new hardy geraniums which managed to survive, with a little help.
    The sunflowers which I had planted were admired, though.
    It was a lovely morning in the garden.
  • Been busy today, one way and another. This morning, it looked brighter and quite promising. We decided to walk into the town for a Craft Market and have a look around. Everyone was quite good at distancing, but only about 50% wore masks as it was outdoors. We did, of course.

After a good look around, we strolled for a bit and then headed for home again. All I had bought was a small cyclamen in a pot, and a joke book! More about that, later. As we got halfway home, the skies darkened and it began to drizzle. We sheltered under a large beech tree at the side of the road, but instead of easing off, the light rain then became a deluge! We had to wait for it to pass, and it was then that I remembered the laundry left on the line at home. Argh! When we got back, there was no point in taking it in, so I left it out there for another three hours to dry out all over again.

Our Youngest has been back at work this week, after months on furlough. He said it's been quite a week, as both our grandsons have also been back at school for Thursday and Friday and were very tired. All had a successful week, though :-)
  • Rosy, people are surprisingly ignorant about trees, aren't they? Some seem amazed when the tiny sapling they've bunged in the ground too near to the house begins to grow up to keep the light from the windows! Glad you enjoyed a morning in the garden.

Annette: Enjoy your family visit. Ornaments are a problem - people keep giving me them, and we only have room for a few. I've been brave and given lots away, even though I hate parting with things.

Off to bed now as weary of the News on TV. All gloom and doom. Boo!