Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week. Not much summer left now. 

Here's a photo--taken by Indiana's official state photographer--showing one of our Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds

Also, I found out that my hometown area (which is about an hour north of where I live now) has a breeding pair of Mississippi Kites. These aerial raptors normally reside in the deep south, and Indiana has only a few pair in the entire state. Click the arrows to see all three photos if you're interested. 

Take care and be strong, all. 

• We went out to lunch today, at the cafe we were at recently. We booked for today whilst there, as there is limited space, of course. We both plumped for a delicious Welsh Rarebit, with side salad & coleslaw, and a small pot of chips to share. It arrived looking well presented, and with a tiny pot of mango chutney on the side, too. Wonderful.

Didn't want anything to eat tonight, so just had a buttered slice of pitta bread.
  • Hallo all:  Painting done!  Hurray.  No more workmen on our doorstep at 8 a.m.  

Lindybird: What a carry on - great you can replace the jigsaw (will you open it and put it in the old box?)  :-))  I bet if  you tell the neighbors what happened, they'll say 'you shouldn't have' but will appreciate the new one anyway.

OG:  Poor all of you.  Do hope whatever it is, it doesn't stick around.

AQ: I passed on the quote about chickens to my BiL and other family members in the UK who thought it was hysterical.  My BiL (being the curmudgeon he is) shot back  'we cannot let chickens impede our right to free access to our highways without knowing their reasons!"   Cue family eye-rolls.   :-))

While my OH was in the shower, I moved an armchair and ottoman plus a side table into the garage.  They've been parked in the middle of the kitchen for a week.  So far he hasn't noticed.....

• HEATHER – Of the whiting varieties, our state prefers the King George whiting. It has white light fine-flaked flesh with a delicate flavour. Found off the coast of southern Aussieland.

LINDA – You will have to send Bonnie to Dau for retraining. Toby knows he must not touch anything on the floor, definitely not the Trio’s toys – he has his own.

OG – I hope you are all much better now. I envy you with curls. My hair has always been boring dead straight. My mother would tie it up in twists of newspaper on Saturday nights but the ringlets had dropped out before we reached church.

PAT – Our weekly sheet has become a reminder of the latest restrictions. The latest? Places with “crowds” such as pubs, churches have to have a “covid marshall” to guide people into doing the right thing, social distancing, etc. They have no authority but I assume can ring the police if people behave badly.

ANNETTE – I predict days before someone notices changes in your kitchen!

Beautiful sunny spring day, expecting 25 C max. Breezy, so I have gathered everything I can to wash. Except what OH is wearing. Apparently they are not dirty enough yet.

• Just a thought

Today’s accomplishments were yesterday’s impossibilities. (Robert H. Schuller)

• Annette: Don't know whether you're still up. United Launch Alliance is going to launch one of those massive Delta IV Heavy Rockets. Coverage begins as 10:52 p.m. California time. See HERE.

• Annette: Nevermind. The rocket's engines didn't come on and the thing caught fire and flamed out in a whoosh. Mission aborted.

• Good Morning. I hope everyone at OGs house is now recovering, rather than feeling any worse.

Bright morning here, and dry but cold, as forecast.

Annette, great that the smell of paint will be no more. Hope you're both pleased with the results of your project. I wonder when your OH will notice the extra space now in the kitchen? I used to regularly move all the furniture around in our living room, and my OH didn't even notice until he went to sit in his favourite chair. I miss those heady days now, as our new living room can only be configured one way ;-)

A mixed day yesterday, as besides the puzzle disaster (yes, I had already decided to swap the contents & give them their own box back!) my OH tried for ages to fit the new loo seat and found it to be too big. The fitments in these caravans are often scaled down to fit into small spaces, but it looks "normal size". He has also noticed, when cleaning the salt off all the windowpanes, from the recent storms, that the caravan itself shows that it didn't have it's usual spring clean of the panels on the outside. He will no doubt get started on that before we go home, as he hates jobs waiting.

I hope bjane is alright
  • AQ -- I have a mental picture of you rejoicing in the sunny weather, and pegging your OH out on the line, complete with his washed shirts!!
  • "Proper post " later - this is just to say thanks for all kind thoughts and we are all much brighter today. J is using the vac cleaner and OH is off to do his printing with Robin from church. I have a huge pile of runner beans to prepare - most will be frozen.
  • OG: I'm so glad that you're feeling better. I was worried about COVID.