Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week. Not much summer left now. 

Here's a photo--taken by Indiana's official state photographer--showing one of our Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds

Also, I found out that my hometown area (which is about an hour north of where I live now) has a breeding pair of Mississippi Kites. These aerial raptors normally reside in the deep south, and Indiana has only a few pair in the entire state. Click the arrows to see all three photos if you're interested. 

Take care and be strong, all. 

• Have had a pleasant day: went for our walk this morning, then ate a sandwich & did not much, then sat on the decking with the newspapers.... Saw some friends here at teatime, they have been here a week & said that the storms were something to behold a few days ago! We stood outside their caravan to chat but of course we cant just stand around for too long as too tiring, so broke up the gossip party in the end by saying we'd see them another day.

The beach side path this morning. Bad storms recently have thrown a lot of pebbles from the beachfront up and over onto the path. If you squint, you'll also notice the obligatory dog!

• On a Facebook page this morning: Nature fights back sometimes!!!

• OG - pleased to hear you now have an appointment to get that ulcer seen to pronto.

Had a very pleasant lunch out with OH and Dau as it was OH's birthday and our WA. Local hostelry, great meal.

Weather looks ominous for the next couple of days.
  • Take it you're in N Wales, Lindy, enjoy the break. Another storm is coming in so hope you don't get caught in it.

Nature fights back - like it.
  • LYNETTE – Congrats to you & OH.

Collected Dau from dentist, dealt with yesterday’s washing, then hung out today’s load, did a humungous pile of washing up, had lunch, inspected her front garden, all interspersed with chat time, came home for a read & nanny nap. Thus passeth another day.

• Just a thought

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. (C.S. Lewis)

• Hope that OG got on OK at her nurse appointment today.
    AQ - I like the idea of a nanny nap! See that things are still bad in Victoria...
    LINDY- l agree, standing around is so tiring!
    ANNETTE - a few towels here are begging to be converted into cleaning cloths!
    I had planned some garden tidying today, mowed grass yesterday. Changed my mind, not particularly pleasant outside.
  • Leg thingy is not an ulcer – though it could have become one if we didn’t notice it. It’s “just” a hole in the dry skin and excess fluid coming out of it! Nurse dressed it and showed OH how to do it again Friday, next Tuesday and next Friday if it hasn’t healed – after that go back if necessary. Worst part for me is missing showers on non-dressing days!

ANNETTE – I hope the towel search was successful. Were you looking for particular colours, or just traditional white?

LINDA – the sea had had a good fling of those pebbles – so I wonder what it is like there today with Storm Francis? Bonnie looked happy enough in that photo.

LYNETTE – glad you enjoyed your celebratory lunch out.

AQ – pleased to read of a slightly less demanding Nanny Day, ending with a quiet Nanny Nap too!

HEATHER – thanks for good wishes. Horrible night and day here – water, water everywhere! I woke up cold but discovered it was almost alarm clock time anyway; I think it had rained most of the night. It also rained heavily during the morning, but we were lucky with just drizzle when we went out to the car, and dry on the way home (more since). OH had picked today’s runner beans, and a bonus meal too, last evening, so I prepared them this morning. I think the duvet will return to the bed tonight!

J is happy about the children having faces covered in corridors etc – he has seen some risky behaviours. They had news that the Head is leaving for a post in Education Services. He only returned from a temporary post this term! J hopes the deputy who took over before will get the permanent post.

Church Elders could not get onto Zoom yesterday (Zoom had a problem), so meeting will be tomorrow. I decided I would delay the magazine for the decisions they are considering – nothing is time-sensitive, so the members could still get even postal copies for 1st September.

The sky is looking brighter now, and the willow tree looks very healthy with its leaves glistening - could be a dry day tomorrow, then more rain - but maybe a dry weekend, although getting cooler. I went out with my hair still damp from my shower and then got drizzled on - wishing I had asked OH to buy me a brush at Boots - still got to tease out the curly tangles before bedtime tonight. Hadn't had curly hair for decades, but it is really persistent now.
  • Glad it's not an ulcer, OG, with all the problems that brings.

Not going anywhere near that beach today - it would be downright dangerous. OH says that he took Bonnie up to near our own beach and the water was right up to the back of it (unusual) plus the sea was boiling and fierce.

We ventured out to buy bread & milk, then went to our favourite garden centre in search of lunch. They were doing lunches but the only hot food available was soup, so we enjoyed a bowl of leek, potato & bacon - yummy. Only bought a small book for a relative as a purchase (getting ready for Christmas!) and had to wait for the rain to ease before running out to our car. Then watched heavy rain all afternoon, reading, & doing a large jigsaw which we borrowed from some neighbours a few weeks ago. 

• Morning all:

Heather:  At that rate, I have more rags than towels..

OG;;  Good about the leg, but sorry you'll have to miss showers.  Re towels, I got some pretty blue (sky blue-ish) towels at our local Marshall's (related to TJMaxx) last week and was looking for an additional one or two, but of course, no nearby Marshalls seem to have them and the colors in the 'regular' stores are all aquas, grays, etc.  I did see some that almost matched but even within a particular brand, the 'same' color wasn't quite the 'same' color - I think they must be made in different plants and perhaps in even parts of the world.  Still, First World problem.  White was my fallback....  

Lynette: Congrats on the WA!  :-)

Weather back to normal here;  I gather the predicted storms haven't been as bad up north so maybe all those fire crews can get things under control, but too late for some (and here I am, going on about matching blue towels).  :-(