Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a healthy, safe, wonderful week! 

• It was 30 degrees here this afternoon, and I stayed close to my fan. Heather, I knew about the theory of shutting all your windows, then opening them at night to let the cooler air in. But it never works for me, I need air. Funnily enough, we have thrown everything even wider this evening, only to find that a local farmer has decided to spread some, ahem, "muck" as its known around here. The smell is unbelievably foul, due to the heat. (It's not cow muck, which does at least derive from eating grass, so is bearable) What a time to inflict it on the local population.

Going to bed early.
  • After several days of 35C, we were melting down here. Not much respite at night.

This afternoon, my OH called out that rain was coming in the widows (not facing the sun). I thought he was "seeing things", as I was in the kitchen and it was sunny. Anyway, things rapidly changed. It bucketed down, in all four directions in turn, coming in all open windows. Then, huge hail stones were bouncing all over the place, making a terrific racket on the building, and covering the grass. The road outside was flooded. We were very happy to see the rain, but it did not cool things much,

Unfortunately one of the neighbours ceiling collapsed, through water flooding in through the roof damaged by the storm. He is in his nineties, and was rather shaken, although fortunately he missed the main damage. He was taken to hospital, but is out now, nursing a bandaged hand. So glad that it was not worse.

We have two small damp patches on our ceiling which will need investigation, but we were lucky.

It is slightly cooler now.

Thanks to all for news. I remember "muck spreading" from my earlier days, Lindy. Sorry it is not more fragrant. Do you know the origins of it?
  • Heather - no, naughty me, haven't started them yet but keep putting on the gel. One or two are going to be a bit awkward for me but I know I should try - a bit of a coward plus the weather is unbearable at present.

Were supposed to get thunderstorms in our area tonight but all we had were grey overcast clouds. Still there's always time tomorrow.

So sorry to read about the tragedy in Scotland on the Aberdeen to Glasgow line, plus all the torrential rain they have had in some areas.

Probably another night when I shall end up downstairs as I don't sleep well anyway and this weather at present!
  • Enjoy your time with her Lindybird.

Good luck to you over in the US re the coming conventions and the voting for a President - wonder who it will be next time. Sincerely hope that Trump doesn't get in but who knows.......
  • Evening all:  Gosh, things are seriously nasty weather-wise there.  The train crash in Scotland made it onto the national evening news.  I gather it was hard for first responders to reach the site.

Rosy:  Hope the leaks are just one-offs from the torrential rain and don't reveal any expensive repairs.  That's awful about your poor neighbor though.

Heather:  Harry & Megan made it onto the local evening news; apparently they moved up here last month.  Don't imagine I'll bump into them at Whole Foods!!  :-))

I gathered up all the paint samples I'd bought prior to making the decision which to use and advertised them (free) on craigslist.  Within an hour I got 5 responses - whodathunkit!   Lady is coming by tomorrow to pick them up.

Do hope the weather improves there.

Take care everyone.

• LINDA – that was quick. Long-awaited visit over already.

ANNETTE – to paraphrase - One woman's sample is another woman's treasure.

Dull and dreary, no sign of promised rain. We did have 10 mm yesterday. I consider garden too soggy to weed.

• Just a thought

Never regret a day in your life. Good days give you happiness and bad days give you experience.

• AQ: Haha. Lots of experience on this side of the Pacific (but more good days!) :-)
  • Good Morning. Another hot night and lots of flashes and thunder rumblings, but thankfully not as bad as some: sorry to hear about your elderly neighbour, Rosy. How unlucky.

AQ - It was a short visit as they are now packing to go to the coast for a week, this weekend. It was good to see them but a difficult visit as many attractions here are still closed and we were all way too hot to get up much enthusiasm for anything much. Amber went for short walks with her Grandad and Bonnie, and also chased Bonnie around the garden when it was cooler. Eldest is relieved that she will be back to school full time in September as she's getting bored now, and it's not been easy doing the home schooling thing.

I'm off to the dentists for a long ago booked check up today - was surprised to get a text reminder from them as had no idea they were operating normally except for emergencies.
  • Ps. Rosy, it was really stinky so my OH reckons it could have been of human origin. I would have thought that in the present weather, it would be almost a Public Health concern, but hey, we live in the country so have to put up with these things. Can't smell it now thank goodness.