DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - AUGUST 2020 to end of season

Congratulations to Ems and all at the ©Dyfi Osprey Project, you have kept a great service going throughout this difficult time.

From this:

To this:

... in no time at all ;)

Compliments of ALISON:

"KC7 (Bob1) is Tywi (pronounced Toe-wee) and KC6 (Bob2) is Teifi (pronounced Tay-vee)"

Brought forward from 01 July, the proud and prolifically provisioning parents:

All pictures and videos:

©MONTGOMERYSHIRE WILDLIFE TRUST ©DYFI OSPREY PROJECT  

IMAGICAT

• Teifi tucking into a huge trout He probably won't have to share with his brother as has probably left Not seen on the nest since 13.55 yesterday Please stay safe young man We would like to see you again in a couple of years time

C MWT DOP

• Thank you, PATILY, re TYWI Open mouth 

patily said:

Not seen on the nest since 13.55 yesterday Please stay safe young man We would like to see you again in a couple of years time.

That's what I get for "skimming too fast thru the footages" !!!  Look what I missed!  (Fetched from Recycle Bin, wow, not emptied.)  It looks as tho Teifi treated his brother like an intruder - if the two you see are indeed Tywi and Teifi.

Strange that Tywi would have chosen to migrate in this weather - did Teifi drive him off and the wind carry him away southwards?

It's definitely Tywi we first see, I checked with magnifier.  Soon after this sequence Teifi returns and starts his 3-hour wait.  All times approx, I keep getting lost in it, with no timeline.

(Secret "Unlisted" video.)

IMAGICAT

• Wow. Indeed that seems strange behavior, unless Teifi was powerful hungry...

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• 22 August

I've wasted so much time trying to read ring numbers :'(

First in this morning:

The corvid was displaced when a juvie emerged from the arrowed gap and flew to the nest, touching the left arm of the night perch on the way - he stayed on the nest for just under 15 minutes and flew off:

At breakfish time, Idris nearly carried KC6 away, so convinced was the juvie that he had hold of the fish:

KC6 enjoying victory, he appeared to eat every scrap before flying:

He was back again for 10 minutes before 08:15.

Next !!!

Serial intruder, KS8, the Clywedog female, arrived on the nest and Idris brought a fish - but knew she wasn't family so he flew off with it.

(Difficult to get a clear snap at this stage.)

KS8 was off and back, and KC6 came to defend the nest:

Blurred, but you get the idea - KC6 was fierce!

As we've seen before, KS8 just wanted to be frenz ;) but she was repeatedly driven off.  Maybe KC6 is too young to be charmed:

After KS8 was finally driven away, KC6 waited for hours for a fish:

Finally, at teatime, a lovely big fish arrived:

Another leg-pull by desperate KC6 - poor Idris!

There were several dropouts thru the day, and now I can't play the 6-hour clip up to 23:00, there must be a corruption in it.  So that's as far as I go.

IMAGICAT

• Teifi on the nest eating what appears to be left-over fish
  • Thanks for the update, Scylla.  Teifi has really grown up suddenly.   Dyfi has produced a vid of yesterday's intrusion by Blue KS8(18)f from Clywedog, here - Teifi the Defender!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• scylla said:

Thank you, PATILY, re TYWI  

patily said:

Not seen on the nest since 13.55 yesterday Please stay safe young man We would like to see you again in a couple of years time.

That's what I get for "skimming too fast thru the footages" !!!  Look what I missed!  (Fetched from Recycle Bin, wow, not emptied.)  It looks as tho Teifi treated his brother like an intruder - if the two you see are indeed Tywi and Teifi.

Strange that Tywi would have chosen to migrate in this weather - did Teifi drive him off and the wind carry him away southwards?

It's definitely Tywi we first see, I checked with magnifier.  Soon after this sequence Teifi returns and starts his 3-hour wait.  All times approx, I keep getting lost in it, with no timeline.

(Secret "Unlisted" video.)

https://youtu.be/UThcmNIlsXo

Thank you for the link, Scylla.  I hate this time of year as you never know when or if we are going to see them again.  Safe flight your Tywi.  I hope you intrude in a couple of years' time!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Yes, Teifi saw his brother off after the Clewydog lass and that was the last we saw of Twyi. What a strange ending to the Dyfi season we are seeing
  • patily said:
    Teifi on the nest eating what appears to be left-over fish

Yes, he dug it out of the sticks as soon as he landed (I'm so relieved to see him looking A1 after losing all those hours last night):

He's eaten enough and is about to fly:

Left plenty for later, if it survives the corvids and... will we see KS8 today?

Five hours later he (I can only assume, as we didn't get a zoom) came and flew off with the leftover - a corvid had luckily ignored it earlier:

Later the corvid did find something to pinch:

No-one seen again until teatime, when KC6 flew in and fish-screamed ;)

Idris flew in with a headless flounder:

But there was a mysterious delay in handing it over, Idris flew off and back with it several times, something was bothering him.  Here's another one of my illegal videos - I think as long as it's not spread around, and it's Unlisted so the TV companies won't find it, we'll be OK:

Idris brought another flounder, see how he was looking out to the side again:

We were on a long view of Idris still eating his fish when nightcam suddenly kicked in, an ultra-zoomed piece of nest appeared, and I couldn't find anyone after that.  Very strange.  This is lightened a lot:

IMAGICAT

• From Dyfi FB  

Bore da
    Tywi has started his migration, we last saw him Friday afternoon at just before 2pm when he was 86.9 days old.
    Tywi becomes the 22nd juvenile to migrate from this nest, let's hope we see him back in 2022.
    Copyright DOP           Dyfi Osprey Projecg