GLASLYN OSPREYS - AUGUST 2020 to end of FEBRUARY 2021

Link to  july-2020

Bywydd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife website/webcam >  https://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/live/

YouTube Live Stream (with chat) > www.youtube.com/watch

Public Facebook page > https://www.facebook.com/BywydGwylltGlaslynWildlife/

All captures and videos ©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Blogs and videos to the season so far:

Mrs G returned 21st March, 10:36 > mrs-g-returns

Aran returned 3rd April, 12:08 > aran-returns

First egg laid 13th April, 12:08 > mrs-g-lays-first-egg-of-2020

Second egg laid 16th April, 18:17 > mrs-g-lays-second-egg-of-2020

Third egg laid 19th April, 19:01 > mrs-g-lays-3rd-egg-2020

First hatch 20th May, 10:52 > first-2020-chick-hatches

Second hatch 21st May, 17:59 > second-glaslyn-chick-of-2020-hatches

Third hatch 24th May, 12:52 > third-chick-hatches-on-glaslyn-nest

Chicks ringed 24th June > glaslyn-chicks-are-ringed

KC2 fledged 9th July, 14:48 aged 50 days > kc2-has-fledged

KC3 fledged 14th July, 9:36 aged 54 days > kc3-fledges

KC4 fledged 19th July, 18:44 aged 56 days > kc4-fledges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three juveniles are thriving under Mrs G and Aran's continued care, proving once again what formidable parents they are. Long may the season continue to be be hassle-free as it nears the time for migration

• LS currently down. I think they may be finalising the work at the VC.
  • LS back up about 30 mins ago. Sound on.

Link:-www.youtube.com/watch
  • Thanks, Mike, I had only just checked myself about half an hour ago to find the site had come up 38 minutes previously! It might have been you who mentioned it or I read it on the chat that Heather warned us yesterday that they would be doing work today.
    Scylla, when we've stayed in a place overlooking the Cob in Porthmadog in June/July for a couple of years (sadly not last year), every day we had parades of swans (not the winter visiting Whoopers but Mute Swans) and of Canada geese, serenely cruising along in long lines past the flat, often on the incoming or outgoing tide. Cannot recall exactly how many but we did count somewhere between 40 and 50 of each. Out of curiosity I've just googled it and the first site which appeared was Glaslyn's own website, stating that every summer a group of up to 50 non-breeding Mute Swans spend a few weeks in Porthmadog harbour. We must visit at exactly the right time of year to see the swans. Hoping to go back again the same time this year, fingers crossed.
  • How super Ann, would love to see them
  • Mike B said:
    LS currently down. I think they may be finalising the work at the VC.

I was completely oblivious!  Have just checked rollback and it looks as tho no critters or activity was missed, it looks and sounds awful weather.  Well, I've changed the URL and will start it up as soon as I remember towards morning... famous last words! Grin

GARDENBIRDER - wishing you good luck in getting your booking this year, it must have been such a lovely view Hugging

• Thanks, Cirrus and Scylla.  Prior to Covid we had booked a different place near Porthmadog for 2020 because the place we had overlooking the estuary and Cob was already booked, possibly by a long-term tenant.  The new place is a little cottage on another stream also emptying into the estuary at Porthmadog, a bit south of where the Glaslyn River does.  Luckily, the people there were happy to roll over our booking to this year.  If we are permitted to travel this summer, we will do so in late June, since by then we will have had our second vaccine jabs, and foolishly or not, will probably risk the journey which will mean stopping at motorway services, walking to and from the loos, and passing by complete strangers who may or may not be breathing out the dreaded virus.  We've been having deliveries and click-and-collect for food, but are unlikely to get that there but that remains to be seen.  As we are unlikely to be able to take along more than a few days of food, we will probably need to enter shops there as well.  We will not want a delivered pizza every night, after all!  But I am not worried about precautions when visiting the Glaslyn centre.  I expect that many of the volunteering jobs there can be carried out in a safe and socially distanced manner, and many can be done outdoors if the weather is decent.  But if visitors will still be invited to look at the nest through scopes, they would probably need to give the volunteers sanitising wipes for the scope eye pieces, as well as for anything else visitors might touch, including things like door handles, the loos, etc. and other things which staff and volunteers might touch such as the cash register for selling drinks, souvenirs, etc.  Other places have worked out how to do this so I am confident the folk at Glaslyn will manage it, too, if they are permitted to open to the public.  Fingers crossed.

• There was a power drop at Glaslyn a few moments ago. The link has changed as a result.

New Link: www.youtube.com/watch
  • Just woke up from a nap and saw the stream had gone down :(  I hope I haven't missed black-headed gulls, CLARE would love to see some Blush

• Oh clever meeeeeeeeee !!!  They just had waterbirds on Pointless and I got them all right - thank you, Glaslyn Grin

• scylla said:
    I hope I haven't missed black-headed gulls, CLARE would love to see some

Well if Clare doesn't come up trumps I can offer you the look of love from an amorous pair of BH Gulls. Well, it is nearly spring.