GLASLYN OSPREYS - AUGUST 2020 to end of FEBRUARY 2021

Link to  july-2020

Bywydd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife website/webcam >  https://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/live/

YouTube Live Stream (with chat) > www.youtube.com/watch

Public Facebook page > https://www.facebook.com/BywydGwylltGlaslynWildlife/

All captures and videos ©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Blogs and videos to the season so far:

Mrs G returned 21st March, 10:36 > mrs-g-returns

Aran returned 3rd April, 12:08 > aran-returns

First egg laid 13th April, 12:08 > mrs-g-lays-first-egg-of-2020

Second egg laid 16th April, 18:17 > mrs-g-lays-second-egg-of-2020

Third egg laid 19th April, 19:01 > mrs-g-lays-3rd-egg-2020

First hatch 20th May, 10:52 > first-2020-chick-hatches

Second hatch 21st May, 17:59 > second-glaslyn-chick-of-2020-hatches

Third hatch 24th May, 12:52 > third-chick-hatches-on-glaslyn-nest

Chicks ringed 24th June > glaslyn-chicks-are-ringed

KC2 fledged 9th July, 14:48 aged 50 days > kc2-has-fledged

KC3 fledged 14th July, 9:36 aged 54 days > kc3-fledges

KC4 fledged 19th July, 18:44 aged 56 days > kc4-fledges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three juveniles are thriving under Mrs G and Aran's continued care, proving once again what formidable parents they are. Long may the season continue to be be hassle-free as it nears the time for migration

• Unknown said:
    Maybe not, Mike, MC may wish to carry on with the gin for the moment--she may still be killing off the sniffles, lol! Have you or MC (or anyone else here) had the vaccine yet or are you on the waiting list? (Although I think the gin only kills off the virus if used on the outside, might not work on the new virus if it is on the inside...)

Ann, I have had both jabs. First in December then the second three weeks later in early January.

Looks like MC is sticking to coffee.....maybe laced though! LOL

• The original Pfizer, Cirrus.
    This is still being dispensed in our area but second dose is now 12 weeks later.
  • Oh, that is good news, Mike, that you have had 2 vaccine injections! We will have whichever vaccine we are offered and that asap, once we hear from the local surgery. I possibly have already mentioned on one of the threads on this Forum that for the flu shots we were instructed to go to the little local airport at a specific date and time, masked, and with clothing which allowed us to bare a shoulder near the car window, and were injected by a masked nurse through the open car window. Two minutes and out again. Wondering if the vaccine will be done similarly. I imagine those without transport were dealt with at the surgery.
  • Coincidentally my brother, who is 73, had a text from the surgery today (Tuesday) and he's made an appt for Friday, it's a very local address too!

Back to business ;)

It's been a high water day again - I'd heard about the Storm Christoph warning on the radio.

No birds at the feeder yet, these 2 were at the faux nest:

Were these Whooper Swans?  Very, very distant:

A different face angle:

This corvid had been buffeted on the tree and you could see the rain swirling - swans were in the background unconcerned:

What a miserable scene:

I claim that these were resident Mute Swans ;)  They were the last critters seen before dark:

• Unknown said:
    Oh, that is good news, Mike, that you have had 2 vaccine injections! We will have whichever vaccine we are offered and that asap, once we hear from the local surgery. I possibly have already mentioned on one of the threads on this Forum that for the flu shots we were instructed to go to the little local airport at a specific date and time, masked, and with clothing which allowed us to bare a shoulder near the car window, and were injected by a masked nurse through the open car window. Two minutes and out again. Wondering if the vaccine will be done similarly. I imagine those without transport were dealt with at the surgery.

Very well organised here Ann. All over in less than 30minutes including the 15 minute wait afterwards to check re adverse reaction.

As the Pfizer vaccine requires extreme temperature storage several surgeries were combined at one location.

The Oxford one does not require this so can be dispensed at local surgeries.

Good luck.

• Between the tide, the probably-closed sluice gates in Porthmadog, and the water coming downstream, Glaslyn Wildlife Centre is flooded fairly spectacularly at the moment.
  • The major concern is that the main electricity supply cabinet is currently inches deep in water. Only the seal on the two doors is seemingly holding out the water. If you scroll back you will see Heather focussing on it many times as the water has risen. Large white cabinet in the hedge line. One of the large picnic tables is floating.

• Mike B said:
    The major concern is that the main electricity supply cabinet is currently inches deep in water.

Early morning:

The feeder says it all:

Magpie's partner not seen:

Surface looks quite turbulent:

More to do but not till later.