LOCH ARKAIG - AUGUST 2020 TO MARCH 2021. Highlights are Mary GK's and Geemeff's wonderful videos of the 2020 season

August is the month when we've seen the Loch Arkaig ospreys depart on their journey south. We've enjoyed watching them this year - the wonderful parenting skills of Aila and Louis, and the antics of their 3 chicks, Captain, Vera and Doddie. 

Mary GK did an absolutely wonderful video summarising the 2020 season. Thank you so much Mary! And here is Geemeff's great compilation, thank you!

2020 last dates:

Doddie JJ6 was last seen at the nest on Saturday 15th August 2020

Aila was last seen on Saturday 22nd August 2020

Captain JJ7 was last seen on Sunday 23rd August 2020

Vera JJ8 was last seen on Saturday 5 September.

An unidentified osprey was seen off camera on Sunday 6 September eating a fish. This could well have been Louis, having arrived and found no Vera around to feed.

Doddie JJ6 was videod and photographed fishing for over a fortnight at Avalon Marshes in Somerset 

Link to July 2020 thread

Link to Youtube channel

Link to Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig page/webcam feed

• Here's the two quick late evening fish: Louis delivered at 20.49, and Aila at 21.06

Fish number four 20.49.10

Fish number five 21.06.34

• JJ7/Captain desperatley shouting for breakfast and trying, without luck, to forage for scraps on the nest
  • Morning all, I looked at the camera expecting to see fish per the reports of some being left overnight. There is no fish on the nest. That is because JJ6 departed at 06.11, with at least one piece. WT chat reports that he took two pieces of fish. I have looked (he took off at 06.11.25) and snapped but can't get a good view of how many bits of fish he left with. It would make for an interesting landing on a perch if he had a bit of fish in each foot. JJ8 was on the nest whilst this was going on. I thought she didn't look as well as before but that is probably just my imagination. Ian
  • 07.48, JJ7 & JJ8 come to the nest just before Louis delivers a flat fish. JJ8 gets to it first but JJ7 muscles the fish from her. JJ7 currently eating the fish. Ian

(c) THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• Ian S said:
    Morning all, I looked at the camera expecting to see fish per the reports of some being left overnight. There is no fish on the nest. That is because JJ6 departed at 06.11, with at least one piece. WT chat reports that he took two pieces of fish. I have looked (he took off at 06.11.25) and snapped but can't get a good view of how many bits of fish he left with. It would make for an interesting landing on a perch if he had a bit of fish in each foot. JJ8 was on the nest whilst this was going on. I thought she didn't look as well as before but that is probably just my imagination. Ian

Morning Ian, he had both fish in one foot. Bit mean, he could have left one for Vera! Mind you, she didn't seem very interested. Perhaps remembering that's how she got her tummy bug?

• Vera looks much perkier. Needs to fatten up for migration

(c) WT Loch Arkaig

• 09.52 (09.51.52), JJ8 leaves the nest and flies to the stick tree that is at about 11.00 looking out from the nest. That tree used to be a favourite perch for Louis, he hasn't used it nearly as much this year that I can recall. I do remember that one of the WT chatters timed him flying from that perch to the nest earlier in the season, I think the time was c. 11 seconds. Ian

EDIT - 09.58.03, I've timed JJ8 flying from the stick tree to the nest at about 11 seconds as well (09.58.03 to 09.58.14). For completeness (& the benefit of Geemeff the cricket statistician) se was about 12 seconds (09.51.52 to 09.52.04) from nest to tree.

• Thank you Ian, I do like a good stat!

Speaking of cricket, I shall leave it for an hour this afternoon to join in the webinar. Anyone here joining in? It's a zoom chat, no camera or mic needed, we'll be able to see the WT panel, our responses and questions will be by text chat like on youtube chat. I hope they cover the forest restoration project, if not, that's where my questions will be directed.

"If you have enjoyed watching, please join us in a free online celebration of our Famous Five - an osprey themed webinar (using zoom) - at 3pm on Friday 7 August. Set up especially for avid fans and/or those who are active on the osprey comments, this session is a thank you for your help in making this such a successful season. Webinar spaces are limited and must be booked in advance. You can only book through this link:"

https://woodlandtrusttickets.cloudvenue.co.uk/Locharkaigospreysseasonalhighlightsofthefamousfive

"Thanks and enjoy the final weeks of what has been a most uplifting season on the nest."

• 12.44.39 Captain flies in with a flatfish - did he catch it himself? No, Louis delivered it two mins earlier and Captain flew off with it, leaving Vera sitting fishless.

• A passing RAF plane scared them off the nest, heard, not seen. Fish two is a repeat of fish one - a flatfish which Captain gets ahead of Vera.