LOCH ARKAIG - The Woodland Trust - JULY 2020

I'm starting this thread in case it's not possible for MARY to do it due to the first-of-the-month freeze-up.

Aila, Louis and their 3 chicks are flourishing, with Louis proving a great provider to the biggest family he's had so far.

I might add some snaps 'n things if I last a bit longer, but let's get the thread on the road first ;)

IMAGICAT

• All 3 on the nesy, as was Aila too a moment ago No doubt waiting on Louis
  • All 3 on the nesy, as was Aila too a moment ago No doubt waiting on Louis
  • Ian S said:

12.37, Aila is on the camera and JJ7 is on the nest when Louis brings in a fish. JJ7 grabs Louis' leg in his rush to get the fish. Soon enough JJ8 & 6 turn up but JJ7 is keeping a hold of the fish. Ian

(c) THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

That's a great shot, Ian! I took a similar one and used it for the thumbnail on my video. At least it was an accidental nip, unlike like year's duo who actively attacked their parents!

• 17.25, JJ8 is alone on the nest when Louis arrives with a flat fish. Again poor Louis suffers abuse to his leg. JJ6 arrives just after Louis & JJ7 a wee bit after. JJ8 is so far keeping the fish. Louis' crop looked nice & full, I wonder if he has sneaked in a fish for himself. Ian

• 17.52, Louis brings in a live & flapping fish. JJ7 is nearest where he lands & JJ8 (still eating the previous flat fish) is between JJ6 & the fish. JJ7 therefore claims it. Ian

EDIT - I have looked at the delivery again, it was Aila who brought it in.

• JJ8 on the left eating, JJ7 on the right eating & JJ6 in the middle voicing his displeasure. I don't know if my pic will get the detail, but there is a rainbow just at the Woodland Trust logo. If it were a Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow I would be like a pig in clover. This emoticon is not a Fender Stratocaster but will have to do. Guitar Ian

• 18.27, JJ8 has had enough of the flat fish so JJ6 takes it over. JJ8 had eaten the least of the three so far today, it is nice that she had a good feed. The fish JJ7 is eating is a decent size, I wouldn't expect him to finish it. Ian

• 18.34, Aila arrives at the nest with a FISH. She soon loses it to JJ6 who discards the flat fish. Aila flies off. After a bit, JJ8 goes back to the flat fish, so all three chicks are eating. Ian

• I've just looked back at the 17.52 fish. That was delivered by Aila as well as the 18.34 one. Ian
  • 19.27, Aila comes back to am empty nest apart from two nice bits of fish. She is currently tucking in. Ian

EDIT - 19.37, Aila flies with one bit of fish in her talons.