GLASLYN OSPREYS - JULY 2020

.A hasty start to the new month, to get something done in BIRDIE's forced absence and before the possible/probable FIRST OF THE MONTH FREEZE (and I've already got freezing probs here!).

When Birdie is back in she may give me her comprehensive version to insert here :)

Parents and chicks are all doing well, with no real upsets so far.

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• Earlier today Mrs G was dive-bombing crows behind the perch.  

There must have been a flounder delivery before 10.30 which has done the rounds.  KC3 gave it up at 12.11 and KC2 took over.  Mrs G is now finishing the tail end, while Aran sits on the perch, on guard

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• SheilaFE said:
    There must have been a flounder delivery before 10.30

Self-explanatory:

KC3 had a wingercising session and got at least 2cm off the nest surface Grin

A group pancake coincided with a passing quad bike and a fly - don't know what caused what.

Heather found a tornado Open mouth

Then Aran brought another flounder:

Everybody welcomed it:

Well,, that's what it looked like at first, but  MrsG fed from the previous delivery and Aran was left standing over the latest:

KC2 self-feeding, but it was too tough for much progress:

Joint preening going on, MrsG spots something untoward but doesn't react otherwise:

Aran saw something objectionable and flew off:

She was soon back on the perch via a brief nest visit:

But someone soon got up her nose and she gave chase:

Next flounder was landed on chick's tail, chick not impressed but not upset ;)

Heather zoomed in when KC2's little V emerged:

Ooh I'd better post or the dreaded phantom moderator may step in...

• Need to finish now, am going hypo.

There was more feeding and I must say I haven't given enough indication of the chick activity that's gone on today - they've all looked lively.

Since this shot MrsG has left the nest:

• KC2......I think.......bravely standing on the edge of the nes looking outt Now KC4 is upand walked about a bit and all preening

KC3 doing some vigours flaps KC4 is tackling a short stick as if its fish Now moving some bark

• A record shot of Arran and Mrs G. Perched up after the chicks have been fed.

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• Only just caught your terrific video from 5th Patily. Thank you. I know you won't mind that I've downloaded it (cheeky grin)
  • I can't attend to this nest yet today, but every time I've looked recently they seem to be waiting.

• 19:40 Oh gosh, more rain! Mrs G feeding the young beauties

©BGGW

• Breakfish (not very early) - and no, I can't get a better shot!

The whole family just after MIKE's acclaimed parent portrait ;)

Flounder very approx 4 hours after breakfish:

KC2's wingercising improves!

KC3 with entrail:

My internet went thru a very flaky period, I've only got lots of bits for quite a while :(

A rain-huddle followed, soon interrupted by Aran with the next fish, headless:

A family resigned to rain, why even huddle? Thinking

This is KC2 hogging the limelight again:

They had to huddle in the end:

After the long wait, TWO flounders in quite quick succession Smiley

Currently MrsG is feeding herself from the first of the two, and one of the chicks whose number I can't see from her is self-feeding the second.

• Some brilliant helicoptering by KC2 there, Scylla!

Thinking of Birdie, I hope she's ok...