Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a good and safe week. 

• Just a thought

Give me this day some space to spend apart,
    to listen to the voice within my heart.
    Give me this day some space in which to see,
    the window opened to eternity. (Karen Rene)

• AQ - What a lovely 'thought' for today! That's straight into next week's church news sheet!

Another lovely sunny day here, so I'm planning a long circular walk - feeling badly in need of exercise.

Have a good Saturday, everyone,
  • Good Morning. The rain was falling when I awoke, and it's good to hear it, as what we've had is not enough for the parched earth or the spuds growing in our allotment!

AQ - Am surprised to hear that it gets to minus temps there, we always imagine it to be hot. We were told at the beginning of this pandemic that masks give little help, and can give people a false sense of security. Now, it's being turned around somewhat and is going to be mandatory on public transport. When I'm out, I see about one in five wearing them, now. I'm buying some to wear if it becomes obligatory in shops.

OG - I didn't say how charming were the baby bird pics, so fluffy. We have lots of baby starlings and sparrows here.

Going to have another day catching up on the dusting and ironing. In spite of being at home so much, the house is no tidier, either, as I've spent more time than usual in the garden in the summery weather.
  • Pat, you wrote whilst I was wittering on: enjoy your walk.
  • LINDA – If you look at globe you will see Antarctica directly below us and in winter the weather sweeps up from there. In summer the winds travel from the north across the hot dry red Outback. Sunny & cold (14 C) today, no breeze, so some of my washing is draped around the lounge room.

Feather transplants?

• AQ, Very interesting article on Feather transplants.

Some wet stuff falling on and off today. The birds are back on the grass/weeds, hopefully now finding something to eat. I notice none of us are referring to a 'lawn'!
  • AQ: Feather transplants: I love it! The current Smithsonian magazine has a big article on The Search for Life on Kangaroo Island. Haven't read it yet. Not sure I want to see the window open to eternity too soon! :-)
  • Planned long walk postponed - as soon as I mentioned it, the rain clouds gathered and a very cold wind started blowing. So that will happen on a more placid day, Plenty of rain today, although I expect the gardeners will want more - actually, the lawn looks so brown even I think we need more! I seem to have found plenty to fill the hours today, as well as have a long Zoom chat with a friend. A local vicar has been heard to say, 'A few months ago when we thought of Zoom, we thought of an ice lolly'. A very rapid change - and whatever would we do without it!?!?!
  • Shame about your walk, Pat. I couldn't put my laundry out, here, as we kept getting short sharp showers all day.

AQ - Thanks for very interesting stuff about the birds - never knew any of that! Impressive how much people have tried their very best for the wildlife since the fires.

Today we were busy, as I bought a new TV for our bedroom & it arrived today (after I got an email saying it would come on Monday!). My clever OH worked out how to assemble the stand thingy, and I went through the instructions to tune it in. That was OK. It's a "smart TV" so is connected to our Wi-Fi but I'm still struggling with that bit.