Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a good and safe week. 

• Picked some of my peonies as they were almost in the mud. Well, it's not really rained enough for mud, but you know what I mean.

Nice to get an apology from the techies,  but I suppose we shouldn't hold our breath as it could be some time before it's sorted. I've found it difficult ever since the last upgrade, which was a backward step as far as I'm concerned.

• Just realised I've missed out a page somewhere, and not read bits about AQ plus Diane's nephew - sorry. Diane,
    Hope you have a good visit, without any travel problems.
  • Love the peonies, Linda. Mine 2 have lost all their petals but now have what look like three buds, could they be the seed pods, not sure, as never had any before. They are in a pot with some other flowers at the front of the house.
  • OG – Not good that the nurse was not keeping her distance. Interesting that UpOver you are told 2 m while DownUnder it is 1.5 m. Also our venues must allow 4 sq m per person. I walked past one of OH’s lunch places. To me it appeared too small to allow 4 sq m for 10 persons, let alone 20, probably the reason they are still only offering takeaways. My theory on the Grand Design is that it is being built in their spare time as a favour to a mate or for one of them. I hope it is advertised, then I can browse the online interior pics LOL.

Safe trip DIANE. I have been thinking of you away from the mayhem, under the watchful eye of RTH.

My photo excursion was short as it was so cold. I captured a few more ornate old buildings & a sculpture and was home for lunch. Researching the artist I learnt that the sculpture is a set of three. OK, I found two. The third is up above, level with first floor. Another trip sometime. Once again the bus was near empty both ways.

This morn we are visiting the twins for their 6th birthday. Maybe back later with bird photos, trying SUNNYKATE’s tip.

• Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation. (Kin Hubbart)

One way to make the weather make up its mind is to hang out washing. (Marcelene Cox)

Bad weather always looks worse through a window. (John Kieran)

It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles against the prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. (Dave Barry)

• Home from gift delivery and site behaving!. Three very excited girls (& mother). We were fed birthday cakes and entertained - a Gummy Bears dance by Trio, piano concert by Miss8. We all kept distance (except Toby), but MissL was obviously disappointed not to get a real hug.
    The Gummy Bear dance:-

Yesterday a small flock of ibis were feasting on a reserve at the end of our street. “The Australian White Ibis eats a wide variety of prey items – frogs, fish, freshwater crayfish and other crustaceans, earthworms, insects, snakes, mice, and carrion. They forage by walking slowly and pecking at items on the surface, or probing with their long bill.”

Trying to get closer, I spooked them.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in the front window to greet us, the Trio had placed every soft toy I had knitted or given them! OH was greeted enthusiastically by Toby.

• Just caught up with lots of lovely posts as I also had trouble getting on to site.

OG No I have never heard the church bells ringing from the drowned churches although it is a very popular story around here. There is a tiny museum in Dunwich which shows the old village and the layout and how much was lost in the 1700 storms. There is still a lot of erosion happening and there is just one headstone left up on the cliffs from an old church yard. The article below is from a dig that I joined for the weekend which was very enjoyable.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/ea-life/unravelling-the-medieval-mystery-of-our-pirate-priests-1-4694209

We have had rain!

• AQ - The Gummy Bears Dance looks fun - and they are all concentrating so hard! Lovely ibis pictures as well. I saw ibis for the first time last year in Sydney, quite nonchalantly walking around Circular Quay with all the crowds of people. Not sure they would find much to suit their diet there!

A real change in the weather today - quite chilly and very windy. It looks like rain, but none is forecast (but who believe the forecast anyway?). We do badly need rain, though. I expect, after the wettest winter and February on record, there will be drought warnings and hosepipe bans very soon.
  • Hello, I'm still here! Just been busy. Back later!
  • Lynette D said:
    Love the peonies, Linda. Mine 2 have lost all their petals but now have what look like three buds, could they be the seed pods, not sure, as never had any before. They are in a pot with some other flowers at the front of the house.

Yes, they're seed pods.  Cut them off, but leave the stems for a while, then cut them down, too.

(unless they are indeed buds, as the peonies can have another bud on each large stem but they don't usually flower together, only one after the other)