WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY MAY 17, 2020

Just getting us going.....

• Saw the programme from Friday night, last night, Dibnlib. Had a little cry as Nigel was such a beautiful dog and we'd seen him on the programme for many years.
  • Was thrilled to see two new poppies opened in our garden this morning.

• Then I turned away, and saw......

There were actually three, with one hiding underneath!

• Lovely, cheery flowers as usual, Lindy.

Thanks to all for news. I like the jigsaw Dibnlib. My sister always has one 'on the go', and owns dozens of them, but I have not seen that one before.

I agree with those who are saying that the young (twenty somethings?) think they are invincible. I just hope they are.
    It would be good if they could realise that the rest of us may not be.
  • I have been rather occupied for the last few days. We had a lockdown GW anniversary. The daughter organised a Zoom meeting with our son, granddaughter and a cousin. This rather snowballed when the rest of OH's family heard about it! OH has a large family. We ended up with twelve participants. The nieces always talk at the same time anyway, when they get together. It was complete chaos! Some were in different time zones, and trying to join in.
    OH and I were quite exhausted afterwards, but appreciated everyone's effort and greetings.

We then invited the neighbours into the garden for a glass of bubbly, but that also got out of hand when some of them got to know the reason. That is another story!
  • I agree with Heather and others, remote meetings with family is no substitute for the real thing, but more than was possible fifty years ago.
  • Morning all:  Woke up during the night to a strange sound; took me a minute to figure it out - rain.  In mid-May?  We'll take it.    Cloudy and cool here today.   I really do belong in a cooler climate.   Was out walking (without a mask; few people around) and came across a masked man (not Zorro) sitting outside a closed store.  He called to me that 'you'd better wear a mask or Governor Newsom will get you.'  :-))

Diane: At some point yesterday I looked at the weather map and saw tornado icons over Indiana. Did you have an problems in your immediate area?

Rosy: Talking of celebrations, it's my OH's 80th this Friday and he's adamant about not wanting to make a 'big deal' out of it.  Fat chance at this point what with the shutdown.   And it's my grandson's 30th at the end of the month - we've all be asking him what he wants and all we ever get is a shrug and  "I dunno."   I really don't know what to do about OH - the family in AZ is planning to Facetime and the UK contingent will call and have sent cards.  I don't think Zoom is on the menu; Facetime with more than three people tends to get a bit chaotic with our lot.  

It was nice this morning to see the front page of the LA Times not entirely devoted to Covid-19; instead there was a photograph of Mount St. Helens, which blew up 40 years ago....  The locals were planning a big anniversary event, but oh well.   I drove by there within a month of the eruption and was astounded by the miles and miles of trees snapped off like so many twigs.   I still have a little bottle of Mount St. Helen's ash that I bought at a little store down the road...

• ANNETTE: I'm okay. Thanks for asking. We've had some hard storms, but no tornado touch-downs on my patch. I wish I could send you some of this rain. Happy birthday to your OH and your grandson. I remember when Mount St. Helens blew up.
  • I don't think I posted yesterday - and have left it late (for me) this evening, so I shall have to catch up four pages tomorrow. Can't think why I haven't been here, maybe I'll remember when I wake up tomorrow!
  • This morn I escaped to Kmart to find gifts for twins’ birthday. I found 2 books, one on animals, other about plastics; some gooey stuff (Dau will love that), leggings (horrible colours) and a $2 baby unicorn with long mane & tail and a brush. I shall check Target tomorrow in case they have better looking leggings (they rarely do). When I get to wrapping up, I may put some aside for that Great Gift Giving Time at end of year. The shelves were fairly bare which surprised me as it is school week 4 and the stock should have been replenished after the holidays.

I am late today due to escape and weeding as it is sunny. No sign of promised rain. I see the all-powerful man has now taken on self medicating with a wonder(?) drug. Who needs medicos when one has delusions.