Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, and healthy week! And, I hope your weather is warmer than it is here! I had thick frost last night.

---------

I'm editing my post to add this link. 

I have these Carolina Wrens on my patch all year long. I also have House Wrens in the summer and Winter Wrens in the winter. Many of the wren pairs build multiple nests. I have wren nests everywhere this time of year. My parents and my ancestors all revered wrens and built houses for them. I can't dig down into the earth anywhere without finding fragments of wren houses.

• Morning all:   Sometimes when I speak into the phone for a text, etc., it gets confused by my accent, which is sort of mid-Atlantic.  I could switch to the English vs. American pronunciation option, but I'd just have the problem with other words....

PatO:  I'm fanatic about apostrophes too and English in general. (That said, I know I've committed all kinds of grammatical sins on here!).  I'm always shouting at the redundancy used mostly by - it seems - weather forecasters who insist on saying such things as "It's 80 outside at this time."  Well, you've just used the present tense right, so you don't really need the rest of the sentence.....  

Meanwhile, it's 71 degrees Fahrenheit here at this time - and it's going to get hotter in the future.  :-)

• I hope that my syntax and punctuation is not being scrutinised......
    I've got my grumpy head on today. Have had problems with my most watched TV ( there are four in the house because my OH moved from room to room depending on the season). I think that I have sorted it out in my own way but my success is apparently just 'happenstance' according to my son !
    A leaflet arrived through the letter box giving advice about coping with Covid-19. It came from a local third sector charity. Advice to over 70s differs from Scottish Government advice. Talk about confusion! I have left a message on their answerphone.
    My eldest daughter tells me that she thinks that it is better to be feisty than sad and moody so I'll see what else I can be grouchy about!

• I agree with your daughter, Heather.
  • I keep forgetting to ask OG if she would use WFF in the future.
  • LINDA - lovely Iris and Roses. Hey, look, no apostrophe - thank goodness!

HEATHER - hmm! that was an interesting one!

PAT - Misplaced apostrophes are one of my pet hates - often referred to as "The Greengrocers' apostrophe" - or is it "The Greengrocer's apostrophe" - I think the former as there are many greengrocers who use it! (just noticed my proliferation of exclamation marks!!!

HEATHER - had a discussion at teatime about WFF - OH says he enjoys having a few days a week not having to prepare veg etc. We are using them about twice a week at present, having originally started with a view to giving him more gardening time. My dislike is that their roast potatoes are horribly undercooked and everything is smothered in a sauce or gravy (I am no fan of gravy - probably said before - due to my mother's anonymous gravies - not matched with the meat). We had an excellent veggie bake of theirs today.
  • Why did I get up this morn? Poor timing. It was just when they recorded the minimum temp 3.2 C. We had a surprise phone call very late yestereve from Dau#1 announcing they were 10 mins away. I woke OH snoozing in front of his TV. We chatted outside our front door for a short time as they shared the news that at long last, they have council approval to build their new house. Next step to find a builder. We joked about which ꭓmas it would be finished. BTW the guys on our Grand Design worked yesterday from 4.45 pm to 5.15 pm. No wonder progress is slow.
  • I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

I just went to a shoe shop and saw they had a special offer: BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE. Aren't all shoes sold that way?

I ordered a load of bubble wrap off eBay today. Just to see what it gets delivered in.

Dear Lord, Please don’t let my husband be home when all my online orders arrive. Amen

• AQ;   Those are good ones!   Grand Design guys are probably waiting for something or someone to arrive with parts or permits.  Will daughter's new house be in their current neighborhood?  

Very windy and hot here today; windy and much cooler this evening but oh, my sinuses and eyes are unhappy.  Where is May Gray?   One more day of it (they keep saying that!).

Have a good Saturday....

• Good Morning. Cloudy/bright, here, by turns.

Annette, I remember you mentioning May Gray before. You seem to be having the same weather as us at present.

AQ, I like the quotes, particularly the last one! My new waffle iron arrived yesterday and I hadn't told my OH....

Hope your daughter gets all she wants with the exciting news.