Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, and healthy week! And, I hope your weather is warmer than it is here! I had thick frost last night.

---------

I'm editing my post to add this link. 

I have these Carolina Wrens on my patch all year long. I also have House Wrens in the summer and Winter Wrens in the winter. Many of the wren pairs build multiple nests. I have wren nests everywhere this time of year. My parents and my ancestors all revered wrens and built houses for them. I can't dig down into the earth anywhere without finding fragments of wren houses.

• Morning all:  Gosh, lots of discussion of clothing terms on here.   I agree about tank tops and I remember cardigans.  They went out of style and are now back as cardis.  To make them more trendy?  T-shirt is often abbreviated to Tees, often preceded by (as are many other clothing items these days)  "essential"  or "authentic,"  depending on how exclusive the seller wants to appear.  What men wear under their regular shirts are undershirts (although they look like Tees but are always white).  As for pants, anything here below the waist can be called pants or undies when referring to ladies' personal items; briefs or boxers (loose cotton things) for men.  Pants encompasses trousers, slacks, 'chinos', jeans, crops, etc...)  It's amazing.....   Waistcoats are fabric and usually part of a suit (do mean wear suits anymore?).   Pullovers and sweaters are interchangeable; jumpers isn't a common term here.  Oh and there are thermals too... 

Cloudy and gray today, which is fine....

I'm wearing cheapo cotton crops and a tatty old long-sleeved t-shirt.

• Thanks for the lesson ANNETTE I remember tank tops as being short, sleeveless knitted tops and I would suggest with a low round neckline. I had a few as Mum was a mad keen knitter.
  • When I was a child my mother and my grandmother, both voracious knitters, were known in the family as 'knits'. When they had been knitting they had 'knat', and products of their handiwork were known as 'knats'. I guess I used to be a member of that club as well. My mother and I both used to knit for a charity which sent garments to Mother Teresa's orphanages - we used to imagine lots of children running around Calcutta wearing our jumpers! I really must become a 'knit' again - I gave up when I got two kittens who were far more able to get the wool in a mess than I was!
  • Pat I think he takes his jacket off sometimes when driving off. I also bought him an all weather gilet so that his arms would be freer if it's cold, which he wears some of the time.

I overheard him this morning telling a friend on the phone, that he would "Formally adopt you, Rod, so that you're a member of my family, if it comes to that!"
  • Cant resist putting my grandson's latest pic on here: he has the best wide smile in our family!!

Matthew:

• Lovely photo, LINDY!
    Good chat and I'm sorry not to have joined in but tomorrow is another day :-)
    Take care, all
  • Hi all, a lot of posts already so not going to read all of them.

Weather cloudy, cold and damp yesterday but cloudy and sunny today but still chilly. Looks like we could get a frost tomorrow morning but will have to wait and see.

Lovely pic of your grandson, Lindy..

See there's been a lighthearted discussion on clothing.

Dau picks up her new car tomorrow. The agreement was due to come to an end at the end of the month but no way could she afford the final payment so got onto the dealership and she was asked to go in last week to try and sort something out, hence she came home with her new car on a test run for us to see. A bigger spec as she is doing a
    bit more driving for us both at times so needed the room at the front . Very pleased with it. All the finance etc is in place now so she can pick it up tomorrow.
  • The Grand Design continues to provide entertainment from our kitchen window. Yesterday a magpie was perched high the scaffolding and I thought “expensive bird perch”. This morning magpie was strutting up and down on the flat roof of the sort-of dormer window. I told OH that the building inspector was up there LOL. It’s 8 am and 11 C.
  • To all the grandparents who are missing their grandchildren. When this is over you can have them for a month. Promise.

A grandmother is a babysitter who watches the kids instead of the television.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo”. (Robert Brault)

Grandpas always have time for you when everyone else is too busy.

Grandmas don’t just say “that’s nice” — they reel back and roll their eyes and throw up their hands and smile. You get your money’s worth out of grandmas.