DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - MAY 2020

The sadness of Monty's failure to return has been somewhat mitigated by Idris's almost seamless takeover as Telyn's partner.

They have 3 eggs:

Egg #1 ~ 17 April @ 05:58

Egg #2 ~ 20 April @ 01:40

Egg #3 ~ 22 April @ 22:56

Dyfi's usual ultra-wonderful coverage of the nest has been dimmed by (1) coronavirus restrictions and (2) laptop failure, a refurb has taken over.  We are grateful for what we are getting, in the circumstances.

LIMPY's coverage of the first 4 days of the month commenced HERE.

Parents
  • Thanks KORKY I'll reciprocate.....the reason there are 2 threads is that one is supposed to be for our comments and captures and the other is for info. and blogs generated by Dyfi itself
  • patily said:
    the reason there are 2 threads is that one is supposed to be for our comments and captures and the other is for info. and blogs generated by Dyfi itself

That's why I did a kinda chatty title for this thread.  It doesn't take much to confuse me! 

Talking of confusing, this morning's activities have totally done the job!

(These snaps are hugely lightened.)

Around 05:00 Idris flew in from the left to the high perch with a fish:

A few minutes later he flew with it:

Half an hour later he flew in from here:

And delivered the fish to Telyn - who got up and flew... ending up on the high perch:

Discombobulated, Idris plonked the fish onto the eggs:

He picked it up and flew!

Telyn flew down and resumed incubation, Idris brought the fish to the nest perch and ate for a few minutes, then flew off to our left:

40-ish minutes later he reappeared with a thin stick:

Telyn didn't want to get up so he flew up to the high perch, and 25 minutes later he flew off thataway:

And ended up down there again:

The hours ticked by...

Zoom on Telyn:

Zoom on Idris:

He flew in via the high perch and Telyn took his place on it for a jolly good preen (EDIT - Idris is moving a cowpat or similar):

Not very revealing:

Up to 12:38 Telyn had not left the eggs except for a short flyabout/break and had not eaten because she wasn't interested.

• patily said:
    the reason there are 2 threads is that one is supposed to be for our comments and captures and the other is for info. and blogs generated by Dyfi itself

That's why I did a kinda chatty title for this thread.  It doesn't take much to confuse me! 

Talking of confusing, this morning's activities have totally done the job!

(These snaps are hugely lightened.)

Around 05:00 Idris flew in from the left to the high perch with a fish:

A few minutes later he flew with it:

Half an hour later he flew in from here:

And delivered the fish to Telyn - who got up and flew... ending up on the high perch:

Discombobulated, Idris plonked the fish onto the eggs:

He picked it up and flew!

Telyn flew down and resumed incubation, Idris brought the fish to the nest perch and ate for a few minutes, then flew off to our left:

40-ish minutes later he reappeared with a thin stick:

Telyn didn't want to get up so he flew up to the high perch, and 25 minutes later he flew off thataway:

And ended up down there again:

The hours ticked by...

Zoom on Telyn:

Zoom on Idris:

He flew in via the high perch and Telyn took his place on it for a jolly good preen (EDIT - Idris is moving a cowpat or similar):

Not very revealing:

Up to 12:38 Telyn had not left the eggs except for a short flyabout/break and had not eaten because she wasn't interested.

Children
  • I've had a couple of dropouts but don't think anything significant occurred during the short breaks.

About an hour ago Idris tried to get Telyn off the eggs by putting sticks on her back (he had arrived empty-taloned) but it didn't work.

Telyn is still on the eggs, looking over one shoulder or the other, mainly the right.

Need to have a look a Chat but I can never scroll back far enough for the req'd info.

• Around 16:00 Idris floated down on a strong updraft and stayed with Telyn for a few minutes - she wouldn't get up so off he flew:

Later (I just can't work out the time - a couple of hours at least must have elapsed) I speculate that Telyn needed a bathroom break but this was as far as she got - up, up and down, down, the wind was very strong still:

Around 20:15 Idris floated in again, empty-taloned again (it's no fishing weather) but had to leave unfulfilled, Telyn would not get up:

No idea where Idris went.  This is Telyn now, often looking in the direction you see:

I must have lost some footage - I haven't seen Telyn eat all day, nor seen Idris incubate for any appreciable time.