DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - MAY 2020

The sadness of Monty's failure to return has been somewhat mitigated by Idris's almost seamless takeover as Telyn's partner.

They have 3 eggs:

Egg #1 ~ 17 April @ 05:58

Egg #2 ~ 20 April @ 01:40

Egg #3 ~ 22 April @ 22:56

Dyfi's usual ultra-wonderful coverage of the nest has been dimmed by (1) coronavirus restrictions and (2) laptop failure, a refurb has taken over.  We are grateful for what we are getting, in the circumstances.

LIMPY's coverage of the first 4 days of the month commenced HERE.

IMAGICAT

• MaryGK said:
    He must be hungry he has been eating it for an hour now, and Telyn/3J is shouting her head off. 

EDIT - This is wrong!  See ALISON's post below.

I don't think Telyn got any of that fish, Mary - Idris suddenly took off (the cam had gone onto long view) and it turned out he was chasing a corvid - I thought he had the fish when he left but that's his wing!  The fish was all gone !!!

Oh!  Just found it - Idris had dropped the fish !!!

He's in the sky and Telyn is just joining in, you can see the corvid in beteen:

He and Telyn flew furiously around:

Telyn returned to the nest and Idris to the perch, no fish :(

There was a changeover, then Telyn took over after a break on the high perch.

When Idris eventually flew off he flew away into the distance along the tree line.

During the night Telyn took a short break up on the perch but I couldn't see Idris there - much of it isn't lit.

Idris arrived around 05:00+

He took over @ day/night/day/nightcam and Telyn's had a very long preen on the high perch:

IMAGICAT

• Telyn was eating the fish for ages last evening, just the flesh, then she let the skin and bones drop which is when the crow came and they both set off after it. According to chat, it was a Bass, which has so much meat they didn't need to eat the skin etc. I haven't see this happen very often.

© DOP

• Unknown said:
    Telyn was eating the fish for ages last evening

Aha!  So I got them the wrong way around !!!  Thank you, ALISON, I was so concerned for Telyn - going all night without having had supper :( 

Lesson learned (but it won't be, I've thought this many times before)... check CHAT!  Most often I can't scroll back far enough to see what I need.

IMAGICAT

• Plus, I don't have the close-up view of Telyn eating - several drop-outs in the Dyfi stream yesterday... so that's another excuse! ;)

IMAGICAT

• I only know because I was watching it in fascination prior to going out to clap last night. Excuses not required, scylla! I am in awe of what you do.
  • gg

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• mc

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• we

Magnus Ullman

• fish

Magnus Ullman