Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, healthy week!

• Evening all:  We too have one electricity provider - Southern California Edison.  We've have a smart meter and had no problems .   Up north in California they have Pacific Gas & Electric (I think).   It was another hunter-gatherer day today but Trader Joe's is on the agenda for tomorrow morning.

AQ:  I almost had a case of modified road rage at Costco this morning.  :-)  They had pallets of TP and paper towels set up in the middle of some aisles, which caused bottlenecks.  I was behind one lady who was walking very very slowly while leaning all over her basket and chatting on her phone.  Arghhh.

Don't know what happened to our heat wave and high winds....

Hi to all; take care everyone.

• Good Morning, and Happy VE Day to those of us in the UK. It will be a little different to the one people were planning, earlier in the year :-(

We have been asked to decorate our houses, locally. Also, to observe the 2 minutes silence at 11.00am and then to have a BBQ or tea party in our front gardens in the afternoon. HM Queen will make a broadcast this evening.
  • What a beautiful morning, at least down in the south east. Thinking of the street party which was planned to take place in our church car park this afternoon … the people who were working on it would have been praying for a day like this! So many plans for events that won't happen. But we will have a Spitfire fly-over at our local hospital to commemorate the Guinea Pig Club - Wikipedia will tell you about it! Not sure whether I'll actually see that, as I live at the other end of town, but hopefully it will come this way … I'm wearing red (t-shirt) and blue (trousers) which are visible. People will have to take my word for the white - I really am wearing white as well! We will be sharing the two minutes' silence immediately before our open air keep fit session this morning. Some confusion about what's happening this afternoon, but definitely HM this evening. Hope everyone enjoys the day in whatever way is possible - the Brits can always make the most of a situation, and I'm sure this will be no exception!!
  • Happy VE Day to everyone! Such a shame that all the planned events can't happen but I am sure it will be just as good in these lockdown times and we won't forget it in a hurry!

The weather in Suffolk is glorious today I went out early about 7.30am to get the milk I had forgotten yesterday and it was already warm.

I just wish I could spend today with my loved ones but its not to be - so I will be relying on lots of messages and photos of my Grandchildren and the TV of course.

Off to weed the gravel at the front of house and then to edge the lawn at the back.

Have the best day you can all and keep safe and well.

• A dozen of us observed the two minutes' silence before we did our keep fit exercises this morning. This afternoon we saw the Spitfire, which made two 'passes' over the Queen Vic, about a mile and a half from where I live, but we got reasonable views. And of course we could hear it, which is almost more special than seeing it! There is a rumour that we may also see/hear the Red Arrows on their way to/from Buckingham Palace … I'm sure we'll hear them if they are in the area. Otherwise I'll watch the celebrations this afternoon on television - no champagne … will mint and chocolate chip ice cream do instead??? And then The Queen this evening. A very emotional day. And beautiful weather. Hope everyone is having a good day. I only realised a couple of hours ago that it's a Bank Holiday out there!
  • 75 years and still we don't have world peace. What is there to celebrate?  Must point out that this is OG writing not E-E - so don't criticise him for the post - I can take it!

• OG Doubt there will ever be true world peace, but it is still nice to celebrate VE day.
  • It's is surely about celebrating the celebrations of 1945? Most of what I have seen on TV has been quite balanced with some very moving reminiscences. My father fought and was badly injured in France in WW1 and was an RAF civilian firefighter in WW2, based on RAF stations in the South of England. After all that, he was never bitter and always spoke pragmatically if anyone dared to suggest that there could never be another major conflict.... he said that man would always fight against man.
  • Ditto to all you said HeatherB....
    We should remember ours and the others from all of the world that came to our aid...
    Conflicts elsewhere should not detract from the heroism of our mostly volunteer army navy and airforce .
    My Dad could not go to war ( he wasn’t happy about that) but worked on Southampton Water making Spitfires. The factory was bombed regularly and he lost many colleagues .
  • I have always been a pacifist - and shall probably always be so - and I guessed in advance who was likely to reply. My Father fought in WW2 in Egypt and Libya - I still think it was what killed him, after a miserable life, in 1996. My Grandfathers both fought in "The war to end all wars" - one was injured - I have respect for them but cannot agree with the patriotism - or fear - that drove them to it. I know I am in a minority but please respect my opinion!  End of!  See you tomorrow.  OG