Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, healthy week!

• LINDY - I have read that if you have a smart meter then it is not always possible to get a new supplier to read that meter. I have never changed supplier, too much trouble for very little gain in the long term. They offer a great package but after a year or so that runs out.... I'm not a clever clogs, that was the way my OH organised things and I have just followed on.
  • Heather - I agree with you. It all levels out over time. And I have refused to have a smart meter, having heard so many horror stories about them. They have tried to put the pressure on, but I have resolutely refused. They only want to get their statistics up so they can call the initiative a success - in spite of the fact that it's cost an absolute fortune and haven't made huge savings for consumers.
  • Lindy, Pat, Heather, we also resisted a smart meter for a long time, for the reasons you give.
    We were just about to get one fitted (after hearing some positive things from neighbours), when the lockdown started, so it did not happen after all.
    We have not changed supplier, either.
  • Totally agree about not switching energy providers. Have accepted a smart meter - we never look at it and it is not accurate with our solar output to take into account!

Almost rain this afternoon, but OH painted his bit of fence and I dozed in a chair out there. Maybe get some real rain here tomorrow.
  • Not been on for a few days. All quiet down here. Will be watching the tributes and silence tomorrow for VE Day.
    Watch DIY SOS tonight re housing for one soldier and also helping the community in a Manchester cul-de-sac. Did a grand job.

At present weather has been glorious but they say we are in for a change!!

Hope you all have a good weekend. Stay safe, stay well.
  • Seriously, you all actually have a choice of company who supplies your electricity? Wow. In my rural area, only one company provides electricity. I had no choice but to accept a smart meter. It was either take the smart meter or do without power. We have only one water company, too. No choice. We have no option for cable TV at all. We can have Internet TV or satellite TV.
  • Diane- Same here. One electric company, one water company and one gas company. Smart meter or get charged extra each month. We have 2 cable companies but both expensive!
  • bjane: Yup. The U.S. has a long way to go in terms of service infrastructure. I live on a county line. In parts of the county to the south of my house, people can't even get broadband. I'm not kidding; they are still using dial-up Internet.
  • Miss8 phones last evening. We talked about books - she has discovered the Famous Five. Then a long chat to Dau. Tomorrow I am visiting for a window-visit. Our restrictions would allow me to go inside but I am of a vulnerable age and I would rather be safe than sorry. No cuddles, no hugs. I shall deliver Dau’s birthday card & gift 10 days early.
  • “Cash, check or charge?” I asked after folding items the woman wished to purchase. As she fumbled for her purse I noticed a TV remote control in her purse. “Do you always carry your TV remote?” No, she replied, “but my husband refused to come shopping with me, so I figured this was the most evil thing I could do to him.”

In the frozen foods dept of the grocery store a man was shopping with his son. He checked something off his list and whispered to his child “You know, if we really mess this up, we’ll never have to do it again.”

Sometimes I get road rage walking behind the people at the grocery store.

We can repair anything. Please knock hard on the door because the bell doesn't work. (sign on door of repair shop)