Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, healthy week!

• So you are staying inside, practising social distancing and cleaning yourself?
    Congratulations, my friend, you’ve become a house cat.

Every so often, I like to go to the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.

Remember, Shakespeare wrote King Lear in isolation during the plague. (Lizzy Hoo)

Isn’t it odd the way everyone automatically assumes that the goo in soap dispensers is always soap? I like to fill mine with mustard, just to teach people a lesson in trust.

• DIANE - I hope you mean "a cat" and not "catty" LOL

• Just over 2 weeks ago I ordered knitting wool for OH’s vest. They said slight delay as his chosen colour was out of stock, but it was dispatched 30 April. It arrived today, taking twice as long as delivery in normal times. While I watched the midday news I cast on and ribbed one row. I may finish it in time for . . . spring . . . summer? The lone ball (to knit for needy) that I added so I could get free postage, was despatched a week earlier. It is still sitting in Bendigo according to postal tracker. Not the woollen mill’s fault but all those people busily shopping online and the lack of interstate planes.
  • AQ:  Fairly regularly I check FlightRadar24 (it's .com on the computer and free to download on a smart phone)  and it seems like cargo planes make up the majority of flights right now: FedEx, UPS, etc., etc.:  You can see what's up in the air anywhere in the world, who owns it; who's operating it, where and when it took off and where and when it's going to land.  Anyway, the other week I was clicking about and saw a flight identified as Cargolux Beluga Transport, which made me sit up. Apparently it's a cargo company with a sideline in Beluga Whales.  Their first whale flight was early last year when they moved two Beluga whales from an amusement park in China to a sanctuary in Iceland.  I can't remember the departure/destination of the flight I saw just a few weeks back...  It's amazing -what's going on overhead while we're busy with our weeding, knitting and kitchen calamities.  What else is overhead as I type?  The remains of the Milk Moon, bright and clear   This massive digression on my part came from your remark about your ball of wool stranded in Bendigo, which I had to Google due to the unusual name and found out it was a gold mining boom town back in the day. It got its name from a creek named after a shepherd nicknamed Bendigo after an English bare-knuckle prizefighter. All very convoluted.

It's obviously way past my bedtime!

• I get excited when I see a red kite flying over my home. Not sure what I feel about a whale … I live very close to Gatwick Airport, on the flight path out, Normally there are planes flying overhead every ninety seconds or so from 6.00am to 11.00pm. You do get used to them - but oh my, it's so lovely and quiet now! And the air is so clear … the sky is so blue … I know both British Airways and Virgin are threatening to stop using Gatwick in the future - and I couldn't be more pleased on a selfish level. I know it will bring about a lot of unemployment locally … but I do like my peaceful, pollution-free world as it is right now.
  • Good Morning. Interesting posts lately!

Sunny here again so I intend to go for a walk around the block. I feel like a rusty old bicycle which has not been pulled out of the shed for a very long time.

We live not far from the airport at Manchester - a huge place, very busy usually. The silence from it is now deafening, as they say, but now & then we can see some military aircraft zooming around, as they're using the quiet interval to practice something or other.

My tongue is still sore- you would expect me to know better than to damage myself, at my age. This morning on TV they're discussing the agony of those who need a dentist, but are only being prescribed anti bios over the phone. That must be a nightmare.

Off to go downstairs to view the other kitchen damage. I decided to throw together a few jam tarts with the left over pastry, and they obligingly heated up and burst the jam all over the supposedly non stick tin, which has had to be soaked overnight.... bah!

Edit:  and, of course, we feel we must eat whatever I produce, as its used up some of my precious supply of flour!

• ANNETTE – Flying Belugas – that’s fascinating. I would not have thought there would be much demand for such a service. BTW My wool is slow because in Aussieland most postal parcels travel on passenger planes. Of course there are hardly any flying now as our state borders are closed unless travellers wish to isolate for 14 days (in hotels as people can’t be trusted).

PAT – We were so used “not hearing” the planes at nearby Adelaide Airport. Now, we notice the odd plane or helicopter (news? police? accident transfer to hospital?).

LINDA - Stay out of the kitchen. Cheese & biscuits on the menu!

Yeay. Our state has had 14 days with no new corona cases. Not such good news in NSW & VIC where there are clusters in NSW nursing home & VIC meat works (export).