Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week! 

I have a small natural sack hanging from a branch next to my front door. It feels like papery leather, and there's clearly something inside it, because it moves on its own! It's oddly heavy! I've been concerned that it may have been made by a swarm of wasps or a large bat. 

I think I've finally figured out what built it and is living in it. I believe it's a Cecropia moth, a giant silk moth. These are the largest moths in North America, and they can be more than 7 inches wide or 18 centimeters. They appear as big as a human hand. I hope I'm outdoors when the cocoon opens. 

Here's a photo showing what the cocoon looks like (mine is wider than this one): 

Cecropia Moth Cocoon
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

Here's a photo showing what the moth will look like, if that's what comes out:

Cecropia Moth, giant silk moth
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• Annette: How very lovely that you've been able to give the hummingbird nice showers. That must be a very special nature moment!!! I'm sorry you didn't see any whales today.

• AQ: Those Rosellas have to be one of the world's most beautiful bird species!
  • Lindybird said:
    Diane, you haven't said if you got any joy with sorting out your phone - I do hope so.

Lindy: No. Sigh... I walked up the hill to my local small town to put some money in the bank. I checked the phone and lo and behold it was able to recognize a network. Unfortunately, the signal collapsed on the way home, as I got to the beginning of my long driveway lane. 

I'm going to call them and try one more time to find a solution, but I think I'll have to return to my other -- much more expensive -- mobile phone carrier. I have to wait until I get the money, though, so I continue to be phoneless during a pandemic. GRRRR. 

Thanks for asking, Lindy.

• Heather: I hope you enjoy communing with the cat! She probably showed up for that reason.

Rosy: I'm glad that the shock you received didn't injure you severely. Phew...

• Good Morning. Sunny again! Earlier in the week, they said that it would cloud over today, but now they've revised it to tomorrow, so we have this one last day to enjoy being out in the garden. A bonus.

What a lot of posts! Can't reply to all, but sorry to see you r latest report on your mobile phone problem, Diane. OG, what a busy day EE had, with the cars!

Yesterday, our lady neighbour called on my OH to help as her car battery was flat and she had been planning to go shopping for herself and for others. He attached the charger for her, and saved the day, so later on she called around with a bag of chocolates called "Heroes" and said that he was her hero!

He's gone out now for our weekend newspaper, the only one we buy all week. We also listen to the radio a lot, but mainly for music of various kinds: by the way, there is a special programme on Classic FM this afternoon from 3 to 5 pm, with Moira Stewart, as its 20 years since Karl Jenkins released his famous "The Armed Man" suite. A favourite of ours.

• Diane, & anyone else who enjoys Space - we watched a great programme last night to commemorate the 30 years since the Hubble Telescope was launched, changing the way we see the universe. Only an hour, but some interesting interviews with the astronauts who subsequently went up there to effect repairs, and some b e a u t i f u l pictures!
  • Hope you enjoyed Anzac Day, AQ! We saw a travel programme once which showed people playing that game with the coins: but I'd forgotten the name of it.

Hope you enjoy the wine!! I'd drink it with anything, or nothing!!!
  • Diane - so looking forward to seeing the moth so do keep us updated.

Regarding your phone - try telling them that you are a designated "vulnerable" person and need to have a working phone during this current situation.

I know its Saturday but it doesn't feel like it as all the days run into one now.

After days of sunshine it is dull and cloudy here today but may clear by late pm. I cut the grass and planted some Hollyhocks - they were 4 for £10 in Waitrose and am going to try and get some Geraniums today.

I dream of getting in the car and going to see my Children and Grandchildren - Lily is over 2 months now and Ive only seen her once!  But we must stay put for a while longer.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

• HEATHER - nice that the Cat is watching over you - not exactly the gardener's choice of animal, but they can be good company. Plenty of birds around here today - including one of four Woodpigeons feeding from the nyger seed feeder! Haven't seen the Mice again for the last two days.

HARELADY - my Geraniums are blooming prolifically, but still in the greenhouse for a while.

Still good, sunny weather here. Magazine is safely on the church website, so I get three weeks off now!