Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week! 

I have a small natural sack hanging from a branch next to my front door. It feels like papery leather, and there's clearly something inside it, because it moves on its own! It's oddly heavy! I've been concerned that it may have been made by a swarm of wasps or a large bat. 

I think I've finally figured out what built it and is living in it. I believe it's a Cecropia moth, a giant silk moth. These are the largest moths in North America, and they can be more than 7 inches wide or 18 centimeters. They appear as big as a human hand. I hope I'm outdoors when the cocoon opens. 

Here's a photo showing what the cocoon looks like (mine is wider than this one): 

Cecropia Moth Cocoon
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

Here's a photo showing what the moth will look like, if that's what comes out:

Cecropia Moth, giant silk moth
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• HEATHER - I prefer hoon; it sounds more disapproving!

• I see from the Google logo, that its St George's Day today!  Happy St George's Day (why the media don't make such a fuss about it as the other Saints days, I have no idea!)

• I'll echo Lindy and also say Happy St George's Day, everyone. Here is a bit of a laugh sent to me by a friend (there was a photo of a grim-looking elderly lady standing in front of her large and healthy-looking veg plot but it would not copy--sorry):
    'Granny survived the Great Depression because her supply chain was local and she knew how to do stuff!'

Kind regards, Ann

• LINDY Yes, we will get a Dine In from M& S and a good bottle of mine to go with it. We were thinking of rebooking the hotel for my birthday in October, but after listening to our "First Minister" this is seeming quite unlikely as well.

It has been a lovely afternoon for pottering. Hope you enjoyed your choc treat.
  • What a dreadful thing to happen.
  • Yes, LINDY I have always wondered that too. Funnily enough I am a Scot who knows when St Georges Day is. My OH (English) doesn't know??
  • Sorry should have said Happy St Georges Day!
  • A fine day here, have been getting on with garden jobs.
    I'm sorry nothing else to report but have enjoyed reading all your news thank you!
  • Morning all:  Costco outing was delayed until this morning. They have their new procedures down to a fine art.  Snake-like barriers for lines in the car park complete with stacked pallets for seating and no more than 60 customers at a time in a massive store.  Expedited check out lines for minimal standing about, but no Blue Cheese for OH's salads! Lots of TP though.  I made naughty detours through towels and bedding, refrigerators and appliances,women's workout clothes - and books!  Would have bought Mantel's The Mirror and the Light but of course they were sold out; should've got it the last time!  One thing I noticed: The senior shopping hour started at 8, but when I got there people were already coming out of the store with laden trolleys; turns out they were Instacart etc., employees or whatever!  Hmmmm. (Not sure about that a priority.)   Snuck into the large Albertsons before I hit Costco and Wow - Lysol disinfectant spray on the shelves.  Gold dust!  :-)

AQ:  I'm too old to know if there's a trendy term for street-racers; we've always called them idiots, morons and yes, words you can't say here.   The LA TImes had an article this morning talking about the uptick in street racing given all the empty streets.   Meanwhile, saw that your city had a kangaroo loose on the streets.  VIdeo showed it nearly colliding with what must've been a very surprised driver

Um - Happy St. George's Day from another one who didn't know....