Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL SUPER MOON!

The full super moon is the night of 7-8 April. 

I hope everyone stays healthy and has an easy week. Hang in there, folks! 

Here are some horses grazing Friday on the big sky prairie near Lafayette, Indiana, where I grew up. 

• Oh dear, LINDY. I bet there were lots of tears and forgiveness.
  • Lindy: Rosie is so beautiful! You must be so proud.

All: Hey, folks. Audible is the audio book company owned by Amazon. Amazon has canceled the subscription fees for small children, young people, teenagers, and young adults for as long as schools are closed. They've made a huge collection of ebooks available for FREE, including the Harry Potter series. Lots of books are available that even adults would enjoy. Free to stream on desktop, laptop, phone, or tablet.

Just click and listen. You don't have to provide any private information, no credit card numbers or even your name. There's no sign-up. I don't think I'm violating any RSPB rules by putting this link here, because this is a free offer during the Covid-19 pandemic. I'm not suggesting anyone buy anything. The free collection is available in both the US and UK. I assume in Australia, too. Here's the link to THE SITE of the free streaming books. Here are a couple of news articles about it: CNN and UK Independent

I just thought that some folks with grandchildren might want to pass this info along.

• Thanks, DIANE. I have passed the Audible info on to my youngest daughter. Her elder daughter is an avid reader.
  • dibnlib said:
    Oh dear, LINDY. I bet there were lots of tears and forgiveness.

Not my post, Dibnlib!

• Thanks to DIANE for the info - I have an Amazon account.

Have had a very mixed day, good news and sad news: it's given me a cracking headache, which is unusual for me. Will get off to bed early.
  • Lindybird - lovely photo of your grand-daughter and of the beautiful flowers from your garden. Lifts spirits.
  • Funnily enough,, I've had two texts from the Gov. one saying that I am in the very vulnerable age group and there is a helpline to help with shopping or picking up medication. When I went onlline to look at it I had nothing of the illnesses listed. Second one said you could open a window but don't go outside particularly to put your bins out etc. Dear oh dear, its a matter of common sense whether you go out or not. We live on an estate in a village and don't really see the neighbours very much. We keep ourselves to ourselves and venture out to put bins out or go in the back garden for some fresh air.. I expect some of these regulations will apply more to people in very built up areas or in flats. Will have to go shopping on Thursday as I still can't get a delivery slot.
  • LINDA – Thank you for flower pics and that beautiful smiling blossom - what a gorgeous child!

DIANE – I emailed your link to Dau who is not yet climbing the wall with the Trio. They take Toby for a walk along a nearby creek and the kids play “pooh sticks”. (We are allowed out for exercise.)

I have been reading diary of a WWII nurse, Mary Morris. Reading of restrictions, rationing, etc back then. We may be confined to home but we do have it much easier – we don’t live in fear of a bomb falling on our house.

This morn news of our state’s second COVID death. Another passenger from the cruise ship whose passengers were allowed to disembark in Sydney 19 March without testing and travelled to home states to spread the disease. Over 650 cases and a dozen deaths linked to the Ruby Princess. The ship is now docked south of Sydney with 1/5 of 1000 crew sick.

• If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer. (Alfred North Whitehead)

Cats will amusingly tolerate humans only until someone comes up with a tin opener that can be operated with a paw. (Terry Pratchett)

Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want. (Joseph Wood Krutch)

Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience. (Pam Brown)

• AQ:  Awful about the fallout from the Diamond Princess.

Diane: Thanks for the Audible links - that's something I'd like on a long drive.

Lindybird: Sorry that neighbor's news is upsetting; assume these are the folks who just lost their son.  Hope tomorrow is better.  

Still no news from Forestboar......