MANTON BAY - March 2020

Manton Bay Nest Summary

The Manton Bay nest was first used in 2007 by White 08(97) and Green 5N(04) who successfully raised 2 chicks.  They paired again in 2008 but the nest failed and in 2009 the nest was unused.

In 2010 a new pair, Green 5R(04) and an unringed female nicknamed Mrs 5R, took up residence and over the next four years successfully raised 11 chicks.  

Green 5R(04) failed to return in 2014 resulting Mrs 5R took a new mate, Blue 28(10) and laid 3 eggs.  Blue 33(11) arrived determined to claim this nest and succeeded removing Blue 28(10) and kicking out the eggs.  Mrs 5R was officially named “Maya” and she spent the remainder of the year bonding with Blue 33(11).

In 2015, Maya and Blue 33(11) returned and to date have successfully raised 14 chicks including a brood of four last year - the first time seen on a public webcam.  It was a pure joy to watch and a summary of the 2019 season can be viewed here

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

Maya, for the second successive year, was the first osprey to return home last season arriving on March 14 and was reunited once more with Blue 33(11) when he returned on March 23.   

Will she be first back again this year?  

Time will tell but I am sure you will all join me in wishing Maya and Blue 33(11) a safe journey home and for another successful season.

• MaryGK said:
    Was just thinking SCYLLA, Patily, this will be our tenth season, we all arrived here in 2011 I believe, such happy memories of that season with Bynack and Tore.

So it is, Mary!  The season of Wottadin and Moffalot :-*  Even a flaky memory can't erase the delights of that year Two hearts

Unless anyone tells me I should do video in between the early hour+ and the fish, I shan't.  Here is the fish delivery and it's very glitchy :'(

• Thank you very much for putting together the video of all the happenings of this morning Scylla, it is so appreciated as I cannot watch the webcams at the moment.   

Hoping Maya gets back soon, before 25(10) gets attached to this nest instead of her own Grinning

• Blue33 with a stick !!! ;-D  (I haven't been watching closely so that's my first one.)

• scylla said:
    Blue33 with a stick !!! ;-D 

True to form, it was TWO sticks - albeit thin ones ;)

• 11:45 B33 nest scraping

First this way...

...Then that

Copyright LRWT

• Quite a morning. Thanks so much for all the wonderful pics and videos
  • patily said:
    SHEILA I managed to look at the female's ring number earlier with my magnifier and saw it was 25 and now I see that has been confirmed Do we know if she has been breeding previously and if so with whom?

Hi Patily.  My records show hatched Blue 25 at Site O, parents Blue AW(06)m who died in Ivory Coast, winter 2010, and Unringed Argyll. 

She returned to RW in 2013 and raised three chicks. 

2014 she again landed first on MB, moved on and raised three chicks on Site C with Blue 11(10)m. 

Then Rutland became coy with their information for some unfathomable reason, but Blue 11(10)m must have been seen and reported.  I can only assume/hope that she continues to have a nest at Site O, but have no further info either gleaned or filched!

Maya first appeared at MB in 2010 when I think her mate Yellow 32(05) disappeared from RW.  She made MB her home with Green 5R(04)m. 

2014 5R failed to return, and Maya bonded with dear Wonky Wing (Blue 28(10)m who was seen off by the then evil Blue 33!  And the rest, as they say, is history.  We all love 33 now, and Wonky Wing is regularly seen fishing at Gwash River, presumably providing for his family!

I am sure Karen and Sandra will let me know if I have got it all wrong - I have been known to be barking up a completely wrong tree on more than one post!

33 has flown leaving 25 with the fish

• LOL 33 returned with a stick and caused havoc with a large twig/branch, which he managed to lose over the side of the nest!

© L&RWT ROP

• Lol, more practice needed!

Here is B33 bringing in the eventual lost stick

Copyright LRWT