WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) Sunday, February 23, 2020

Happy New Week all.  

Back from busy day; friend's 'celebration' of her husband's life was lovely  - she's a whizz with cameras, videos, etc, etc., and compiled a lovely video program that captured his life, interests, family, etc..   Lots of people turned out for a much-loved person.   Two other friends and I were in charge of the lunch for the family after a memorial rock (from the part of the Sierras where he hiked every year for 70 straight years!!) was placed in the church's garden.  The church group took over the post-service reception food.  I'm not only tired but stuffed to the gills!

Lindybird:  Interesting that our camellias are out tool love the daffs though - that's Springtime!

Hope all who have/are getting colds, etc., recover quickly.

Have a good Sunday!

• Good Morning. Awoke to hear the rain again, here: our garden is as wet as can be. Glad we don't live anywhere near a river or canal! It's supposed to stop raining after lunchtime, but as its quite cold my OH says it could turn to sleet. Hope the snow in the Highlands is not too bad.

My OH had a good night and thinks he's over the worst of it. Trying to stop him going out in the pouring rain as he might get pneumonia!
  • Parts of our garden under water - but we dont have a wet garden usually! 

Its stopped raining now,  thank goodness.

Hope OG and EE haven't got the snow...

• Lindy - Oh dear, your garden looks like a stately home water garden! Most of the gardens here look similar - and you have sent us your rain. It's raining hard now, having been dry all morning. And - guess what - I have to go out right now, so I'll get wet yet again …!
  • Wet here and also cold. No snow in town but I gather that some of the inland areas have some. My stepson is well wrapped up as he pilots shipping in the Firth of Forth and my youngest son in law is on a rocking rig in the North Sea. I'm cosy at home with the heating ...
    LYNETTE - I was very fortunate as my OH and I had joint accounts, which made things easier for me when he died. He insisted on putting my name on things when we married even though it was late in life. Or maybe because of it - he was 15 years older than me and an awful lot wiser regarding finance!
  • Morning all:  

Heather: Your husband was smart to make sure you were in on the finances.  I've told this before - but when I worked for the American Association of Retired Persons (in those more traditional days when men took care of most of that stuff), we were always reminding readers that women really need to know the family financial situation and understand what needs to be done in the event of a death.  The other smart advice to readers: Make friends of all ages throughout your life (so you aren't the last one in your generation left standing!).  Cheery - but true.  Enjoy the trip to pick up the new car.

Lindybird:   Hope your OH is doing better and that your 'water feature' won't expand.

AQ: Do you have a industrial strength shredder handy for all those paper?  I'm hoping that when the house is painted and we have to empty and move OH's bookcases that he'll take the time to cull some of the books for the library, etc..

Diane: I tend to follow my Mom's advice:  Believe nothing of what you hear and only 50% of what you see.

Take care all

• Rain Rain Rain in Suffolk. The the girls got out on Saturday am but Luna had had a bad night on Friday which made her grumpy .Coughing and keeping her and my Daughter awake. Her sister Seraphina wisely came into my bed and she was the perfect hot water bottle Slight smile Spent the afternoon doing arts and crafts and thankfully Luna slept thru the night on Saturday.

Sunday am was relaxed but we got out to the beach in the morning just as high tide appeared and the waves were huge. Seraphina was reckless and I had to rush to make a few rescues or she would have had wet shoes. Just as we were leaving the heavens opened and my Daughter heroically ran to get the car while we stayed in the dry.

I am off to Crystal Palace to see the new addition on Saturday -she is still the baby with no name but very beautiful.

We seem to have rain and wind for days to come so all those in the same boat or with snow - keep safe

• We did wake up to snow - about 2cm lying this morning - but this was followed by sleet and then rain and temp went up to 9 degrees C during the day. Frost and ice warning for tomorrow.

HARELADY - I do hope they find that baby a name soon! Pleased you had a mostly good weekend with the other family visiting.

Lost the plot here today - had a wee lie in as I had woken up too early - didn't do me any good! Haircuts this afternoon.

J came home with the news that his temp boss has at last agreed he can revert to his contracted timetable - four days a week with Wednesday off - as of now! he has been wanting that for a long time, but I never really understood why it was changed in the first place!
  • Good Morning. Dry here for once. Feel sorry for those who are still struggling with flooding.

OG - Great that J is going back to the timetable he wanted.

Not sure what we're doing today - my OH needs to go to the allotment to check on things in the greenhouse.
  • Good morning. Dry and sunny so far - and above freezing. Apparently Galloway, west from Dumfries, had serious weather yesterday; today there is hail in the forecast, but I don't think it will fall here in the east of the region. OH will be busy indoors this morning, and shop at M&S Food this afternoon - don't think I shall go out. He checked the greenhouse on Saturday and said "things are happening" but he didn't say what - he needs to be encouraged to do things in there now!
  • I've been wondering about the state of the weather where you are, OG - they keep saying grim things are happening north of the border.

We've been on a short outing to The Farm Shop, to get some of their lovely vine tomatoes and to stock up on bird food. The birds are eating me out of house & home! The sun stayed out for most of the morning, and the views of the cheerful daffodils planted in the countryside verges around here, were wonderful - they are all just coming out. Then when we got back, it rained - but the sun continued to shine! so we must have been in the middle of a rainbow, I think. Good Luck, I hope.