WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) Sunday, February 23, 2020

Happy New Week all.  

Back from busy day; friend's 'celebration' of her husband's life was lovely  - she's a whizz with cameras, videos, etc, etc., and compiled a lovely video program that captured his life, interests, family, etc..   Lots of people turned out for a much-loved person.   Two other friends and I were in charge of the lunch for the family after a memorial rock (from the part of the Sierras where he hiked every year for 70 straight years!!) was placed in the church's garden.  The church group took over the post-service reception food.  I'm not only tired but stuffed to the gills!

Lindybird:  Interesting that our camellias are out tool love the daffs though - that's Springtime!

Hope all who have/are getting colds, etc., recover quickly.

Have a good Sunday!

• Annette: I like Maple Syrup, too. Definitely yes to the whipped butter! Our local folks are tapping the maple trees right now in my area, and the Maple Fair begins this weekend. I wish I could take you out for pancakes. See HERE.

• Obviously pancakes are yet one more measure of the great Atlantic divide! I've never heard of pancakes with blueberry or raspberry syrup, although I'd be happy to try either. Maple syrup, powdered sugar and whipped butter? Not sure about that … But I think I'll stick with sugar and lemon!
  • PatO:   Here, those lovely thin pancakes with (powdered) sugar and lemon are called Danish Pancakes, but they're more like French crepes except they're served just folded over once; not rolled.  True American pancakes are plumper and maple syrup is the classic accompaniment (Diane will correct me if I'm wrong!). :-)  I'm not big on fruity toppings unless they're on toast.

Diane: I'm intrigued by the photos that show just one spout and pot per tree - do they move them around on each tree?   And they're collecting water?   You mean it doesn't arrive as thick brown maple syrup?  Gosh - the things I don't know,

• Annette: In my area:

A maple tree is usually over 30 years old and 12 inches in diameter before it is tapped.

The general rule is that you use one tap for trees up to 20 inches in diameter. Some people will put a second tap on a tree that is 20 to 25 inches. Some folks say that a tree over 25 inches will sustain a third tap. Too many taps will kill or harm the tree.

Syrup makers don't move them around during one season. They want to preserve fresh wood for future tapping.

The date to begin tapping and the number of taps are controversial and everyone has their own theories, which they will defend stridently. 

The water coming out is the tree's sap. You have to boil off the excess water in the sap. As it boils, the sugar concentrates, the fluid thickens, and it begins to caramelize making that dark brown color.

The process creates a lot of steam!!! People usually do the boiling on fires outdoors, and if they're going to make large amounts of syrup, they build a "sugar shack" in the woods to cook the sap, because it will make every surface in your house a sticky mess. It will even collapse your drywall!

Each tap will yield an average of 10 gallons of sap per season, which yields about one quart of syrup. 30-50 gallons of sap are evaporated to make one gallon of syrup.

A gallon of pure maple syrup weighs 11 pounds.

Once the nights turn warm and the maple trees start to bud, the tapping season is over. 

That's probably more than you wanted to know. LOL

"

• My mother made what ANNETTE calls 'plumper' pancakes and we always had lemon juice and caster sugar on them. They covered the dessert plate and were my absolute favourite pudding when I was a child.
    I'd better go for my shower, must be at train station by 8.40 ish. It is about 15 minutes walk away.
    Have a good day, ALL
  • Good Morning. Thanks to Diane for the link explaining the maple syrup production. We used to have maple syrup at home when I was a child, as my father had spent time in The States, and was a convert. I love it! - But as my OH doesn't care for it, we don't buy it - we only eat pancakes about twice a year. My mother often used to make, (and so did I) small pancakes which we call drop scones - a slightly thicker mixture than a pancake, with sugar in it, dropped a large spoon at a time into a fry pan or skillet. You eat them with a small knob of butter melted on top.

Good Morning, after that culinary discussion! Some dustings of snow on our lawn after a cold night last night. My OH had a night coughing, as his cold has ended on his chest. He's just gone out with Bonnie as he says the fresh air makes him feel better, but with my instructions to wear "3 scarves and two hats!"

The three or four schools which have closed because the children have just come back from skiing in Italy, are all in our county. It seems sensible to me, to not mix them with those who didn't go abroad. We shall have to wait and see if any of them have the nasty virus.
  • Heather, you came on whilst I was rambling away: I hope you enjoy your day with your daughter.
  • Pancakes with sugar and lemon. Or just with golden syrup. Yuuuuum. I have tried maple syrup, not as nice, too thin.

LINDA – I see the corona virus has reached the Canaries. Will that affect your travel plans?

Our weather continues warm & humid. We actually had a shower of rain this morn but only measured 0.2 mm, not enough to water the garden.

• Been out, in showery weather, to get some errands done. Nearly all sorted, but my OH was with me and he began to look very tired so I said right, home again.

The sun is bright when it comes out, but its still low temps here.

AQ, We are keeping an eye on the news of the virus: we are going to a different island of course, but its possible that by the time we go, in two weeks, there might be a different scenario. We are determined to go, however, unless we are banned from the country! Where we stay, it's an apartment with its own front door: if necessary we could be in there just sitting peaceably on one of our two terraces, or we could get in our car and go to a remote beach where it's possible to see hardly anyone all day. There is a well stocked supermarket not far away & we could pop into there at quiet times of day. The only two problems could be going into restaurants, and of course the flight home! I think we'd be more likely to catch something on the flight back than anywhere else!!
  • Diane:  Really interesting about the maple syrup production.  I wonder how many people stuffing pancakes and waffles into their mouths know what's involved.   Of course, now, thanks to AQ, I'm wondering what the difference is between maple syrup and golden syrup (but that's not a hint for you to go searching!)  :-)

Lindybird:  Seems like airlines and cruise ships are suffering from the spread of the virus.  Hope it doesn't disrupt your plans....

Must get some paperwork done today; also washed everything that wasn't tied down yesterday (that' what happens when it seems so Spring-like).  Hope there' something decent on TV to watch while I do the ironing.  

Take care all.