Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 January 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW (DARK) MOON!

The New Moon, the Dark Moon, is 24 January. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• Harelady:  It's awful that the younger workforce is at the mercy of such uncertain economic times and sad that it takes two paychecks to support a family....   I was lucky enough - as were most people in those days - to work for stable companies with good benefits that weren't under constant threat of buy-outs or political decisions and - in my case anyway - with humane policies and immediate supervisors who were understanding and flexible.

AQ:  Let's hear it for bossy wives!  :-)    Our early rainfall hasn't been repeated, although the northwest is getting a lot, and the Sierra's too, which is good for us given that we exist only thanks to the California viaduct.    I picked up a book - The Dreamt Land: Chasing Dust and Water Across California - that was so depressing (no doubt exacerbated by what's going on in DC!) that I didn't finish it.  It was about the billionaire ranchers who own land in California's Central Valley (but live in Beverly Hills and other very high-end neighborhoods) who have been diverting aquifer water so they can plant almond orchards in areas they have no business to be. Not only has the land sunk significantly but in many areas they've drilled wells deeper than those owned by smaller farmers so the water table has dropped and left several neighborhoods with no water at all.   The State is about to restrict drilling and diversion of ground water but the policy isn't in place yet.  

So much for a cheery start to the day!

• Well, somebody told the Birds it is BGBW weekend, so there are very few about to be counted!

LINDA - I hope the person bringing the cow manure has already matured it before distributing it - but I am envious that you got it! Sorry to see you are still unwell.

HARELADY - sorry poor Luna got so sick - terrible when they are babies and can't understand or tell you what hurts.
    But a good thing you were able to get time off for childcare when her parents couldn't. You do have your year planned out early, but I suppose that is because of fitting in with family demands.

ANNETTE - so glad you were happy with your gardening expert early birthday gift.

Left this a bit late today, and can't get the old brain properly in gear! One thing I have forgotten to say before, is that J had a letter to say that Scotland will no longer pay for him to have monitoring or treatment in England.! He had a less seriously worded version a few years back, and the Christie fought to keep him. This one has come from a Panel (has long name) in Edinburgh - probably a few doctors who are sitting around a table with an accountant instead of treating sick people! Anyway, taking account of travel, the age of his oncologist (must be due to retire soon), the complication of arranging long-distant treatments etc, J is not going to appeal - and there is now a comparable Late Effects Unit at Western General in Edinburgh.

Hope people are recovering/keeping well - the dreich and dreary weather doesn't help anyone's mental well-being!

• EE - Not many birds here either. A couple of magpies, a few pigeons, several blue-tits, one robin, and that's about it. Sadly our bird population has decreased in the last few months because a new resident has a very pretty, very friendly but extremely active cat. Such a shame - most of us have bird feeders and it's a real pleasure watching the birds. But I do like cats as well … oh dear, life is so difficult sometimes.
  • PAT - Ginger Cat on the corner is much less regular under our feeders than he used to be, but there is another small black cat - and of course Mr & Mrs Sparrow Hawk keep watch!

Another thing I forgot earlier - next door bungalow is now marked as sold - no Idea who will be moving in. The corer one diagonally across the road was sold just before Christmas - also very quickly - and our hairdresser tells us they are an elderly couple - "older than you guys"! - and the lady has carers.
  • Thanks for the reminder about BGBW - I had forgotten about it, in spite of having marked it on my calendar. Will have to spend some time looking out the window tomorrow.

Went out this morning in only a thin coat, which was a big mistake - it felt cold to me as I'd not been out of the house for most of the week, but I had a scarf on, and gloves, so I ran (as fast as I can these days) from the car park to the post office, and thence to the supermarket. Found that as I'd been slow to get going this morning, there were queues everywhere, but had a successful mission to restock the fridge & cupboards. Spent the afternoon on the sofa, catching up on recorded programmes.