Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 January 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW (DARK) MOON!

The New Moon, the Dark Moon, is 24 January. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• Lindybird:  How exciting!  A load of muck!  :-)   Assume some kind of manure - and yes, it is good for growing things.   Sorry you're not feeling 100%.

Harelady:  Glad Luna is recovering.  Kiddie bugs are so virulent.  How old is she now?   Interesting that it's okay for you to miss work, but not your kids.  :-)    

Diane:  Thanks for the info on the bug - I've been following the news but not as closely as that.  China is certainly battening down the hatches in terms of travel restrictions, etc.  It's good that these 'new' viruses are being recognized for the potential threat they are.

• Have had a mixed day - got a few small things done, then fell asleep after a lunch of soup & toast. Yes, Annette, it's cow manure! - very good for adding to the soil.
  • LINDY ; LOL, I could have got excited about a load of manure when I had my own garden.
    Sorry you are still not well. All those chores will wait. Unfortunately, they do not go away though!

HARELADY. Good that you were able to step in to help the family. Not surprised you are tired. It must have been a worrying time. Glad there was a satisfactory outcome.

When I was out shopping today, I saw a young woman who looked Chinese, wearing a mask over her nose and mouth.
    A bit scary.
  • Rosy:  We have a lot of Asian students and tourists here.  They tend to wear masks at the slightest sneeze.

• ROSY – We often see face masks here as Adelaide provides education for many students from Asia. What I find disconcerting is my dentist who wears a face mask. I know I am unreasonable <grin> but I feel like saying “Hey, I am bug-free. Aren’t you?” !!!!

ANNETTE – Sara Donati (aka Rosina Lippi) is the author of the “Into the Wilderness” fiction series set in a remote New York mountain village in early 1800s. Her more recent series is about 2 New York women doctors in late 1800s. Her writing appears to me to be based on fact. I generally prefer non-fiction but she is one of my favourite fiction authors.

I am somewhat weary this morn, having stayed to after midnight to watch the end of the Federer match against some Aussie. Federer won but it was so close. And no grunting, screams or tantrums! His 100th win in Melbourne.

• AQ:  Have you ever read any of the Peculiar Crimes Unit books?  They're loaded with obscure historical tidbits about London.   Funny too.    Dentists started wearing face masks here when the AIDS crisis arrived and nobody knew how it was spread at that point.   Nice to see Roger still on form....I need to see who/when he's next playing.

My birthday present arrived today at 1 p.m. in the shape of a really nice older guy who knows his roses. We performed drastic surgery on Cecile Brunner - he promises it will reinvigorate her no end!  We did take off some long old canes that were over the porch and along the top of the garage, but they'd stopped being very productive and even though it looks a bit bare in those areas, I'm not bothered.  I just didn't have the confidence to do the job myself.  Also got tips on other rose related stuff.  I told him his visit was an early birthday gift and he said he could have jumped out of a cake instead...   :-)   

• I always thought dentists wore face masks to stop the patient being knocked out by the garlic they had for dinner the night before …
  • Morning from a gloomy looking but dry Suffolk. Re jobs and childcare, both Luna's Mum & Dad took time off the previous week with her. He Dad is still on probation with a new position and although my Daughter has been at her company for about 12 years it is not a secure job as the company has recently been bought by a bigger one and there have been and will be more redundancies. Plus her new boss is not very sympathetic and makes it plain that he is not happy when the childminder calls and asks for Luna to be taken home. So when she called I said yes as I knew my company would be fine with it. Yes it means that I have already taken 3 days from my 20 days leave, plus we have to keep 3 for the break at Christmas when the company shuts, means I am already down to 14 days. In addition I am down for a week's care in August together with the other Nanny for the 2 weeks the Childminder is on holiday. I won't be going abroad this year so I will use my 9 days as short breaks in the UK. I don't mind as Ive already had my career and they will probably be working until aged 70+ before they get any Government pension.

This still does not come anywhere near to AQs amazing stint with her girls.

Have a good weekend all and good health to all.

• Good Morning. A bit grey here, again. My OH is going off to the allotment shortly, to spread around his black gold!

Annette, what a great birthday present, and it sounds as if he's done a great job - hope that you and the roses both reap the benefit!

Harelady - The holidays, and unexpected sickness are a problem for parents these days, when most women work. Our other grandma has been of great help in Ambers case, as she lives much nearer than we do, and she dotes on her 7th grandchild, so loves to help. When you're a grandparent, you just do what you can.

• Dau said her OH asked weeks ago for next Tues morn off work. On Friday his boss scheduled a team meeting at 9 am Tues. S-i-l reminded boss of his request and said he had two starting school that day. OMG says boss, “my wife will kill me, our child is starting school too.” Meeting has been postponed. Nice to have a sympathetic boss or perhaps a boss with a bossy wife. LOL