WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY JANUARY 12, 2020

Hallo all.  Happy New Week.

• Hello all

On passing saw Diane's post re Crow and thought you may enjoy this posted on another thread earlier.

community.rspb.org.uk/.../raven-attacking-me

• Thanks for the interesting link, SunnyKate2.

They're certainly very clever birds, highly intelligent.
  • In spite of having to thaw my car out before I left to go food shopping, it brightened up this morning and became a sunny day as promised. When I got home my OH had got all the parts out of the boxes, wielded his magic screwdriver and built the wall unit we bought in Ikea yesterday.

We lifted it into the study and hauled it up onto the top of the rebuilt old cupboards, now it looks like this! ---
  • Lots of space for books, and a basket near the door (which is to the right of pic) for my warm hats, scarves & gloves. Old cupboards below are destined for photo album storage, stationery and bills! The wallpaper in the room is really warm terra cotta coloured, by the way... not purple!

We put up the shelving next to the ceiling years ago, to store all the small books and paperbacks. I have to get out a stool if I want anything! But at least they're out of the way.

• Morning all:  

Diane:  Fascinating about the crow.  When I was out walking that day I kept wondering what the crow was trying to do.  If your car is that old, it must have one of those old expanding antennae - I remember we used to be able to get little foam geegaws to stick on top so you could spot your car in a large lot (I remember that Jack in the Box had them).   Now I rely on the 'beep' button on my electronic key to lead me in the right direction.  

OG: Let us know how J is doing.

SunnyKate:  Lovely to see you - I followed that thread re the raven, including the photo and video.; there were some interesting suggestions from others there too.

AQ;  Ugh, so was that just one stand of the ancient Oak that was destroyed or are there others?  I was also wondering about the pine trees.  Our PBS News Hour last night included a lead segment on the fires, the uniqueness of Oz's endangered flora and fauna and the changing wind patterns in that part of the world (at least I think he mentioned that - I was in the kitchen).  The reporter also noted that your PM claims that his views on global warming are "evolving".......??!!  

Lindybird:  Your Ikea piece has lots of places to put books and stuff.  I'm trying to reduce places to put things in our house, only because OH will fill them up with God-knows-what (extra copies of - everything).  Just fascinated by your terra cotta walls!  :-)

• Don't know why its come out purple, Annette. And the teak cupboards are not that awful orange, either!

Been "resting" again this afternoon, as I'm still giving out that dry cough, and my ears are full of something. Time to try the "Vic" my OH has been using for his congestion, maybe. It's all made me tired - I dragged myself through Christmas and now we're two weeks into January. Bah
  • Lindybird: Well from here it sounds like you guys have been going non-stop for a while, so take care.
  • Thanks, Annette -- I suppose I'm not as young as I used to be! I seem to be able to work in spurts, but then feel tired afterwards. I have put some books on the shelves already, and there's a small pile of them by the front door to go off to new homes, so I'm wearing my halo. Asked myself why I need some of Dickens when I've got the Complete Works on my Kindle. But it's hard to throw out some of my Dads books, with his flourish on the first page. He taught me to love reading, and I've very little of what was his, now :-(
  • Lindybird: I understand; some books are like old friends and parts of our families. I have some I'd hate to part with - it would be like saying goodbye to part of me...

• SunnyKate: Thank you so much for the link. I will read it. Nice to see you!