WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY JANUARY 12, 2020

Hallo all.  Happy New Week.

• Diane:  That is unusual indeed.    fab video!  Jackson is on Highway 49 that runs through the Gold Country along the foothills of the Sierra Nevada - it's a lovely drive.  :-)

• Annette: That sounds beautiful! I've only been to San Francisco, and that was on a business trip decades ago. But, I did get to see the bay, the Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39, the California Academy of Sciences Natural History Museum & Steinhart Aquarium, and Muir Woods (the redwoods). I loved it all. I got to see Utah for about 1/2 an hour on a layover. LOL

(That probably doesn't sound like a big deal to most folks, but I haven't been able to travel much in my life--except when I was married and my husband was always dragging me to Florida.)

• Good Morning. Dry here after yet more rain, last night. Sis in law Sue tells us that she has caught my OHs cold & cough, darn it. She has a bad chest usually, after such infections :-(

Off to look at Diane's video......
  • Diane, I would just love to see San Fransico. Or the redwoods. Or the Great Lakes in Canada. Or California. I hoped to see more of the world when we retired, but my OH hates long times in airplanes, and of course it's expensive.

Still trying to persuade him to go to see the Austrian Lakes! Only a few hours from here. But mustn't moan, as we have our trip to Norway (a year this May) to look forward to.

• Lovely film of the mountain lions. How gorgeous they are.

Also watched the stag disposing of his antlers - I wonder if they were annoying him!
  • Following on from my miserable post about my deeply unfashionable furniture - curiosity took me to eBay where I found the same sitting room wall unit/ dresser/ display cabinet/ drinks cabinet. Only £100 and no takers - why am I not surprised ?

And I see from the receipt that it cost £1599 in 1997 ( all paperwork here as OH was a record keeper!) So, not a good investment, then :-)

• Only joking, in case anyone thinks otherwise !!! I wasn't here at the time, it was before I met my OH so nothing to do with me :-)

• Morning all:

Heather:  We had a G-plan sideboard with glass sliding doors and a cabinet for just one bottle of sherry (for guests).  :-)   All very mod at the time. I think that era of furniture has now been re-branded as trendy "mid-century."  I still like the clean lines.  We get a lot of "vintage" resale stuff here too - a label that gets applied to some pretty ugly items that don't rate 'antique.'

Lindybird: I was wondering the same thing about the stag - maybe his loose antlers were like a loose tooth that you can't stop fiddling with.   By the way,  you could fly to California with a stopover in New York or somewhere else on the East Coast, which makes it a 5-6 hour flight going West and less going East.  Just a thought...  EDIT:  That's each leg of the flight!

Desk work, an extra pair of hands for friend, document drop off downtown and Tai Chi class followed by stop at the grocery are on the list today....

• Went on the IKEA trip this morning - didn't want to go on a weekend when it could be heaving with families. It was a very full car park, all the same, and lots of people wandering around inside. Goodness, it takes ages to go around the entire shop! We had another discussion about which colour finish to buy, plus did we need accessories? Came away with an extra glass shelf, and two wicker baskets to insert. Then a l o n g walk to the exit & payment. Managed to jam it all in the car, then went next door to buy food in M&S - which was also busy.

Left my OH listening to music in the car, and had a quick look around. Failed to see anything appealing in the clothes section, and filled my basket with food. Then my troubles began. I left via a side entrance which seemed handy, but then while I tried to orient myself, I walked purposefully along the massive car park but couldn't see our car anywhere!

Went farther along. Looked back at the shop, and thought I could retrace my steps to where we began. Walked some more - the 2 bags I was carrying began to feel heavy. Walked some more. Got out my phone and rang him! He said "What can you see from where you are?" We compared notes and it wasn't right. Decided to meet at the entrance. I walked there, feeling weary, and waited. And waited. Began to ring him again, when I hear a car horn - he was approaching from the other direction! It turned out that there were two main entrances, plus the side exit I came out of... I fell into the car, very tired after spending a good 20 minutes marching up and down. (And I needed the loo, too...) Bah!