WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2019

Only 24 shopping days to Christmas!   

PatO:  There was a discussion on the radio this morning about Black Friday having spilled over into the preceding and following days and even weeks.  Watch out!  It will soon by Cyber Monday, to be followed by Giving Tuesday.  (Today is Small Business Saturday.)    Then it will be When Will-It-Ever-End Wednesday,  Thoroughly-Fed-up-with-It Thursday and For-Heaven's-Sake-Enough-Already Friday! etc., etc.....

Lindybird: Hope Tomasz had a super b/day and that you had a good ride home.

OG:  No speech necessary to Chat here!

Raining again today.   I went down to Ventura to look for a couple of things early this morning.  Found them all at TJMaxx after fruitless and overwhelming brief stop at the nearby mall, which was still very quiet that early.   If you know Ugg boots, the company that makes (Deckers) them has its corporate headquarters a mile from us just across the freeway - and an outlet store in Oxnard, where things are half price or less. This morning, they had Ugg ankle boots for $14.99 - all in large sizes (didn't need any; didn't buy any).   I watched a couple take an entire stack and load them into their car, presumably to sell somewhere else for more money, which I though was a bit rude, but nobody asked me.

Anyway, have a good Sunday all.  

• Re 2010

If Annette wants to change so as will show 2019 ( for future look backs CHOL:):)

Click More

Edit

change date in subject

Thought may help

p.s Lovely weather for a FEW days, hope you can all enjoy.

• OG - Good to hear you are feeling more human - anyone brave enough to get to M&S must be on the mend!

Books ... I have far too many. In spite of several major culls, I still have one bookshelf in the lounge, two in the hall, one (overflowing!) in the bedroom and a smaller pile on the bedside cabinet. Many of them I inherited from my mother, and my emotional ties haven't been quite loosened enough to let them go yet. Many of them are reference books which probably haven't been opened since the birth of Mr Google, who answers most of my queries. I also have course books from the last study course I did - which I finished in 2014! This conversation is touching my conscience. I really must ... And then, of course, there are the two cabinets stuffed full of old photographs. Again, I really must ...

I've also been interested in the thought about what we were doing in 2010. I moved into my present home on 01 September 2010 and someone gave me a potted cyclamen as a house-warming present. This year I repotted it and it has thanked me by flowering profusely for several months. Not bad for a nine-year-old!
  • Sunny Kate: Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look....   BRILLIANT!  Much obliged.  :-)  

• Morning all:   Thanks to SunnyKate2 we are all now back in the present, which means I have to send condolences to all in the UK who are being visited by Vladimir's good friend Donald.  He's actually at The Grove in Watford, my home town, although the media here insist on saying London.  If I were still living there, I'd picket the place - at least.  

PatO:  Talking of Google, my OH has an Excel doc with everyone's phone number and address in it.  He also still uses the - gasp! - telephone book.  I don't know how many times we've needed to look up a contact or directions to somewhere and I've found it in a matter of seconds on my cell phone while he's waiting for Excel or Google maps to open or is thumbing through the Yellow Pages......  Re photos, I spent months scanning them into my computer but I still have to figure out what to do with the thousands - arghh - of prints. I'd need a whole bookcase for any albums.    

• Ah Books! - Guilty as charged  - but I don't care. Before I moved I knew I would have to have a cull and Daughter Katie who was living at home with me at the time, even imposed a one in and 2 out regime to help. Its always been a love of mine and downstairs I have 3 bookcases and a revolving bookcase that goes perfectly at the side of the sofa that holds all of my 200+ Poetry books. Then one is full of Dorothy L Sayers, fiction and her Non Fiction/Theology. The other 2 are fiction and biography and a collection of books on Royalty that I used to collect but rarely add to now. Some of them are quite valuable and I know I must do a spreadsheet for Son & Daughter to use when I am gone as I would be turning in my grave to think they had just got rid. In my mind I will have enough time when I finally retire to do it - God willing.

We have had a heavy frost last 2 mornings then lovely sun all day - which I can cope with - its just the relentless rain that gets me down.

Talking of photos, my Sister who is visiting this weekend is bringing 2 bags of photos that our Mum had kept. They had been in her loft in the house in Essex since beofre they left for France 25 years ago! I am so looking forward to seeing them.

Hope all the coughs & colds are abating - at work there is still 3 of us with the bug - but we think its on its way out.

Keep warm all.

• There was some kind of glitch with the tills in M and S this afternoon. Delays, things like cash back not being processed. None of the small ' basket only' tills working. I was taken to the customer service desk to get cash back. Delay there, too. A couple in front of me were obviously fed up - well, she was, anyway! I had a trolley with a few things in. I'm not sure whether I moved it too close to her or she backed into it. Suddenly she screamed and fell forward on to the counter, then shouted at me to get the trolley andaway from her. I apologised (still unsure that it was my fault). What histrionics!! I honestly thought that she was going to call the police or something. Then I observed that her husband was not taking any notice of her! I used to deal with that kind of thing on a daily basis when I was working - must have relaxed too well into retirement.....
  • Oh dear, Heather - I hate things like that. I always try to run away. I don't like confrontation. I'm sure you wouldn't have purposely pushed your trolley too close. I think everyone's fuse is pretty short at this time of year, and we've still got three more weeks before we can justifiably relax!
  • Oh dear, Heather - I hate things like that. I always try to run away. I don't like confrontation. I'm sure you wouldn't have purposely pushed your trolley too close. I think everyone's fuse is pretty short at this time of year, and we've still got three more weeks before we can justifiably relax!
  • Oops - I only pressed 'reply' once, honestly :)
  • Agree, PAT - It is a very sad thing that Christmas has become consumed by consumerism !