Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 November 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

The moon turns full on Tuesday, 12 November. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Sounds like progress of sorts, OG. Battle on! At least your meds are working, so hopefully you'll feel lots better soon. Glad that J is on the mend.

Still very wet here: my OH is resigned to not being able to play golf for some time yet. Not being one to sit around, he's been doing things on his To Do List. We have made the decision not to go away on holiday as planned, but treat ourselves to a few days out instead. So I'm off now to reorganize my clothes, as I was going to have a sort out of our wardrobes anyway when it came to packing. The coats I wear are in two different places, and it would be nice to put them in only one, thereby giving my OH more room on his rails!

Bonnie still smells whiffy, so she is going to have a warm wash, later!
  • OG: Good to hear from you but as Heather noted, you were ripe for any marauding bugs after last week.

PatO: Do hope your friend's house stays safe. We had so many people evacuated up north that many AirB&B folks opened up their available rentals for temporary occupancy free of charge. I was reading that some 3,000 folks have returned to Paradise since last year's fire but many former residents aren't able or willing to go back. Jobs disappeared too. It's still quite devastated, with I think maybe one grocery store.

Diane: I watched tiny tiny Mercury creep across the face of a very angry-looking red sun courtesy of the Griffith Park Observatory, but didn't stay around for the full transit. Tomorrow I'll be glued to the impeachment hearings, which start at 7 am our time. Have you been able to do any repairs on the part of your house that you closed off a couple of winters ago? I don't like to think of you huddled in your winter coat by the stove. :-( How are the freelance projects going (that very difficult big one you were struggling with is long gone I hope!)

Found a leak in one of the irrigation lines yesterday which probably explains why that area of the garden was a bit lackluster this summer. Must fix that today. It's in a difficult location behind a shrub near a wall, so must stand on head and work backwards - or something! :-)) Last night my yoga teacher and I were bewailing our irrigation problems but then we realized it's a First World problem we're glad to have (well, not counting our idiot President, impeachment hearings, the Far Right, etc., etc.). Meanwhile, my UK family and friends are apoplectic about that report that they're withholding until after the election. How can they possibly get away with that? What an absolute shower they all are (as Terry Thomas would say). Sigh.

• Haircut has helped me feel better and I was careful not to cough all over Nicole! But she did talk a lot about Christmas plans - she tells me it's only six weeks away!

LINDA - days out can be more flexible than a long stay when it comes to planning for suitable weather, and there are a lot of interesting things to do in your area.
  • Diane-We set a new record today with -6 degrees. We also had 4 inches of snow and high winds, We had no spring nor fall this year, Strange weather all over. I am blessed with a warm house, wish you had the same Diane! I worry about you.
  • I hope that OG and J recover soon. I also worry about AQ and the unrelenting heat and drought conditions.
  • bjane:  Good to see you and glad you're keeping warm.  AQ is safe in Adelaide, but Sydney folks aren't doing so well...  

• Only found out today that about 70 miles west of us the main road ("our road") was flooded and closed for some hours. It is a trunk road - Euro route to Ireland. Westbound diversion was 30 miles - that could be an hour for a truck on the minor roads, and therefore late for the ferry. We had some rain yesterday but not that amount.
  • OG - I know that road well. It would indeed be a very long diversion to get to Stranraer on alternative roads. Sounds like the closure may have been around Castle Stewart, where the river runs very close to the main road.
  • We must have gone down that road to Stranraer when we were there some years ago. A beautiful part of the world.

I hope Diane is keeping warm, how suddenly winter has made an appearance there. Also, as Annette says, hope that you're getting through your projects OK, Diane. Keep safe.

We finally got some respite from the rain, and I popped to see the Doc. She thinks I might have a kind of eczema, and agrees that sometimes these things are triggered by stress. Gave me some cream and instructions to go back to see her if its ineffective.

I'm tired out now - I went to the chemists, then came home and did some baking. My OH has kindly cleared up. Going to bed early.
  • AQ - you really are having some extreme weather. Have friends who live up in QuL and they are saying how dry it is and must keep vigilant.

Annette - must have my wires crossed. Glad you are free of them.

Diane - Oh dear you do seem to be getting the snow early. Stay warm and safe and hope you are not snowed in.

PatO - feel for your friend as I have friends up on the Sunshine Coast at Twin Waters. All very dry round them.

OG - glad to hear AB's are beginning to work and J has managed a meal. Do hope your hospital appointments don't clash with J's. Fun and games ahead!