Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a wonderful autumn week!

The heat wave is over here. Going to turn cold!

• My OH came home early, OG, as it was raining when they got there, and the course was so soggy underfoot that they abandoned their game halfway through. It's dry now, and I've risked putting some laundry out, but I'll have to keep an eye on the weather.

I must have been half asleep when I wrote that I've never made tortillas!! Of course, we call them Spanish omelettes usually. I taught my teenage son to make them when he left to go to university, as he was a fussy eater but loved eggs. It's been a good standby for him, as he still cooks often for the family, and he's the one with three children now.

Incidentally, when we were in The Canaries some years ago, we were fascinated to find that you could buy vacuum packed ready cooked tortillas in the supermarket. You can just pierce the film and then microwave them until hot, and have them with bacon or whatever you prefer. Now, you can get them in some supermarkets here.
  • Lindybird:  Oh we buy packaged tortillas all the time, which is why I couldn't figure out the whole cooking with oil thing that folks were talking about.   We have a favorite Mexican restaurant where they have a giant  bowl of tortilla dough and an old lady who smacks them into shape then hangs them over her forearm in a row before stashing them by the cooks.  We have two main supermarket brands: Mission and Guerrero.  

• ANNETTE - still some confusion here, I think :-). We can buy Mission tortilla wraps here but if you Google Spanish tortillas you will find recipes for making them - in Spain most often made with eggs onions and potatoes. Maybe that is why they are often called Spanish omelettes here, as LINDY says. I see that M and S sell the ready made ones, also have seen them in supermarkets in the Canary Islands, as LINDY said.

I've not achieved a lot today - the pears are still on the grass - it was another showery day here and I just couldn't be bothered.

The news about Brexit is pretty dire. Also, I'm following all the impeachment stuff in the US, when listening to BBC WS during the night. Oh dear....
  • And there was I, imagining you with very wet knees crawling around after the soggy pears, Heather!

Thank you for sorting out the Tortilla mystery: I can see now that I was also confused, as I've never made wraps....
  • Heather- your Spanish omelette is what we call a frittata. I make them a lot in the summer when the tomatoes are fresh but love them any time of the year.
  • We have a pretty clematis growing up a wooden archway in the garden, and it often flowers more than once: this year it's really lovely

• Well done, BJANE - I think you have got it finally sorted - I thought of calling them Frittatas before but never got around to writing it - I believe one name is Italian and the other is Spanish. And how are you- and your Daughter?

Dentist was happy with the healing of the socket from the recent extraction, but managed to find a wee cavity to fill. She did it without any anaesthetic even though it was right at gum level, but I was okay. See her again in six months.

J managed another half day at work, so will go in longer the remainder of the week.

Been preparing boiled fruit etc for a couple of Canada cakes to bake tomorrow - first baking for a long time.
  • The flowers make beautiful whorls when they seed.

Here are some of the metal flowers I bought from the flower show, and put in amongst the real flowers
  • Thanks Diane for starting us up.
    What a bummer, do hope you manage to keep your computer going whilst you finish your asignment.
    I know what you mean - mine just packed up back in March and I had to get another one. I have done business before with the firm I use so I sent for another one, its a Dell (refurbished) and didn't cost me a bomb. Had a friend whose brother is a IT Tchi so arranged for him to come over and he transferred all my files etc to the new computer.. Apart from one small hiccup a few weeks ago its working perfectly.
    You say you are having the heatwave over there, well autumn is acoming in over here with rain and sunshine and cooler days.

OG - not very au fae with frozen peas as I don't like them. Prefer tinned or fresh when available. Dau likes the frozen ones though.

Talking of eggs, I tend to do omelettes , mostly mushroom, which is a change from putting any sort of meat in them. Usually do them with a knob of butter. Delish.
  • HeatherB - your son does his omelettes like I do, but I do it with a knob of butter not oil.

OG - hope J makes it to work. Well done you, and lovely fresh produce too.

Lindybird - hope you enjoyed your weekend away and that the weather wasn't too bad.

Pat O- how very inventive. I don't do ready meals either but do tend to use sauce mixes or from jars. Doing a S&S chicken tomorrow, OH has straight forward chicken as he doesn't like anything fancy.

Went for pre-assessment yesterday for my cataract op. OK but the rigmarole afterwards with drops etc and what not to do - will get use to it I suppose but it will be hard. I realise why they say these things though.