Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 22 September 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY AUTUMN EQUINOX! 

I hope everyone has a great week and a beautiful autumn! The equinox is Monday (the 23rd). 

AQ: Have a wonderful spring equinox. I know you celebrate the first day of spring on September 1. Have a great season!

• Annette - People know the cut-off date is 15 of the previous month. Do they care? Not a lot ... and actually this month the short preparation time is (almost) entirely my own fault. I should have started last week, and didn't! I also had to squeeze in an item about someone who had died, and remove two pages about something that has been cancelled. Then it was a matter of juggling to get the pagination right, and find some snippets to fill the odd third of a page. It's a very interesting exercise every month, and I'm sure I end up with a few extra grey hairs each time.

OG - Our Harvest Festival was yesterday, way after the cut-off date. But someone took some lovely photographs of the produce, so I already have November's front cover!

... and this evening I change hats for an indoor bowls meeting ... what variety I have in my life!
  • Now got both big toes proudly wearing dressings from the podiatrist, so that's top end and bottom end seen to - only the hip to follow! Aha - toe dressings need to stay on till Thursday - so Wednesday will have to be satisfied with a strip wash. They all need to realise that no one department has exclusive rights over my body!
  • OG -- You'll be a new woman by the end of the week! Glad your tooth and toes are sorted. Hope all goes well with the injection.
    I was going to say that you'll find no problem parking if you go to Windermere Lakeland shop. But maybe that'll have to be another week!
    I went to look for a birthday card and some teaspoons at a garden centre, but left with neither. Bought a pepper grinder, though, and two stocking fillers for Santa!
    Now researching places to stay in Yorkshire as we have an invite to a family wedding next June. But its at a Camping Site! (Don't ask.......!)
  • Happy Autumn Equinox, now it really does get the nights drawing in and weather changes.

Yes , Lindy, we had a super weatherwise week in Cumbria.. The Lakes visit was aborted as we found Windermere and Bowness on Windermere too crowded and couldn't find a convenient parking spot as OH and self find it difficult to walk too far. Never mind, we found a nice pub in Kendal for lunch and made our way back to the cottage.

OG - not long to wait now for the all important surgery.  Hope dental visit went well. Know what you mean about  crowns.    Eventually one of mine cracked and was unstable, Had to have the pin taken out and eventually had a bridging set of teeth which I only wear when I have to.

The first two are going over Ribblehead even though we couldn't see it from the train.   The other two are showing some of the lovely countryside - moorland and hills.

• Did anyone hear Greta Thunberg at the U.N. today? I think she's a very good speaker in general and quite forceful today....
  • Good Morning. Drizzly and damp again here.

My sympathies with those preparing Parish newsletters & similar: it can't be an easy job! You must need patience. Pat, you sound as if its been a busy time for you, in more ways than one.

Lynette, glad you enjoyed your week away. Its so restful to see the bits of the UK which are unspoiled.

Annette, I saw Greta's forceful speech, which must have made the adults there take pause, although I was puzzled by her remark "You have stolen my childhood" which didn't make much sense as she is sixteen and will shortly be an adult herself. She is right to harangue them all, though.

• Greta said that she should be at school. That’s what I understood her to mean about them stealing her childhood.
  • As I understand it, Greta Thunberg is an obsessive, due to her condition on the Autistic Spectrum. She has found herself a niche interest which has caught on with the young people around the world because they now have what they see as a legitimate reason to stay off school. I am not knocking her message, but having latched onto that topic she has no option but to follow through.

Staying calm today - will not go to M&S with OH this afternoon - he has routine dentist appointment this morning. I shall be preparing sudden Runner Bean production for freezing. J went to the singing group last evening which meets at the church where he has recently gone on Sundays; it is not a church choir as such, having people from all the churches singing together. He did enjoy it, so I hope he won't have voice problems after his operation.
  • So, the Supreme Court of the UK rules that the Scottish Court of Session ruling was correct - and London got it wrong!  Surprised?  Not me!

• Oh, the drama of it! The media will all love getting their teeth into this! Will just have to sit back and see what unfolds.

Glad that J is enjoying his singing, OG. Its said that its good for the soul, which makes sense to me. I'm not knocking Greta's message, either, but could not see why the marches and demonstrations could not have taken place on a Saturday, when the youngsters need not to have missed any school.

Been to visit my OHs sister, and had a good discussion about our wedding invites. All agreed that we don't want to stay in a Yurt without running water or electricity, so now researching local hotels. Its a long way away in terms of time, but we know that over 100 people are attending, so mustn't leave it too long before booking something.