OFF-SEASON OBS - LOCH GARTEN - September 2019-February 2020

I'm not doing a post-mortem of the LG 2019 season.

Here's to a colourful, action-packed off-season - but the cam needs repositioning and cleaning.  MIKE ??? !!! ;-D

03 September!

As KORKY may have retired in despair (I nearly did myself!), here is An Animal's Guide to Britain.

(Originally posted by IAN and reposted by KORKY here with comments Slight smile ) 

• Not a lot to add but have been a bit busy elsewhere.

Has anyone else noticed Great Tits with belly patterns gone awry lately?  Has it been uncommon or is it that I just haven't been observant?

• There's so much water under the bridge by now that I've forgotten who was first in this morning... oh how could I forget?  I did a video - nothing special, but showing the rivalry between Crestie and Coalie ;)

Soon it was two against one:

At last!

One bright Geat Tit and another not-so-bright, almost looks like a cross between Blue and Great:

Chomp-chomp!

This couple easily attracted the squirrels to their goodies:

There were plenty of visitors and plenty of birds but with some bald (time) patches and no "rarities".

• Nice 'black and white' video in the early morning light scylla
  • It's downside up Monday

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Wooo Weee, I am just hanging around!!!
  • I love the thin frame around the human visitors, scylla.
  • Unknown said:
    I love the thin frame around the human visitors, scylla.

That's a pre-made one from PhotoScape, one can ajust the width.  That yellow-and-green one I used some time ago (thinking it was the first time I'd used it when it wasn't, BTW, but I'd forgotten) is also PhotoScape. 

Incidentally, IrfanView is my regular picture-handler but it does awful arrows (other shortcomings too) so I installed PS and disovered that I can set it up to be an external editor accessible from within IrfanView, which is very handy, and moreover... oops, nearly gave far too much info there, incomprehensible info if you can't see what I'm talking about Yum

Incidentally #2 - I hope you saw my reply re your "finch?" query - I answered: Yes, Siskin :)

• @scylla No not too much info, I think it's brilliant to have one editor be called by the other to get the best of both worlds! And yes, I saw that is a pine siskin, which looks like our yellow finch, or goldfinch in non-breeding colors! Otherwise, our goldfinch has a black patch where your goldfinch has a red patch above the beak. Interesting...breeding goldfinch male

non breeding male

non-breediing male

• Korky, I don't know if you are aware that there is a Bottoms Up thread. Your Red Squirrel would be a lovely addition to that thread! I've bumped up the thread so you can easily find it on or close to page one of the Forum.
  • Ha! Thanks Gardenbirder. I didn't know that. I'm away for a few days but will add the squirrel snap to that thread when I'm back