OFF-SEASON OBS - LOCH GARTEN - September 2019-February 2020

I'm not doing a post-mortem of the LG 2019 season.

Here's to a colourful, action-packed off-season - but the cam needs repositioning and cleaning.  MIKE ??? !!! ;-D

03 September!

As KORKY may have retired in despair (I nearly did myself!), here is An Animal's Guide to Britain.

(Originally posted by IAN and reposted by KORKY here with comments Slight smile ) 

IMAGICAT

• I shouldn't have checked here first, I've spoiled the surprise for myself ;-D

It will be interesting to see what effect, if any, the snow has on the number of birds.

IMAGICAT

• Ooohhhh winter is here!! We are supposed to get some snow this weekend!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A Crestie was first and last yesterday, and first this morning - the snowy perch didn't bother it:

No fewer birds today, tho a hogging squirrel made for a slow start.  For quite a while I thought the Blue Tits were missing but plenty turned up later.

Our mottled Great Tit was back:

And then a Coal Tit similarly but more mildly "afflicted":

Lots of Crestie appearances, this one was a nice strong colour:

Several humans too, dunno what this chap thought he was playing at :-/

A Coat Tit was last in tonight.

IMAGICAT

• Snow's fading. Squirrel isn't

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• One...

....two

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• There were definitely fewer birds today, as far as I've got.

First in was a squirrel - this wasn't the first in but it was the first to show its face, very fuzzy tho:

Pretty:

Plenty Cresties today, I wasn't going to snap any but this one arrived at a very bright moment:

I expect these rectangles have been here forever and I just haven't registered them - how/when/why?  Did someone put mats down before the snow?  Are there rectangles of under-floor heating? ;)  Unfortunately my feeder cam history is deleted and saved snaps are all crops.

IMAGICAT

• Ha! I decided the rectangles were weigh bridges Grin
  • Top and bottom

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Mmm now that you mention it Scylla? Underground heating for the birdies! Mats taken away after the snow! Maybe it was where the big iPod camera cabinet was, watching us, watching them!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Yesterday.  What a dapper fellow, but has he been overshadowed by yet another experimental frame? ;)

This morning, no Crestie, only squirrels for half an hour! 

Poor little Coal Tit kept having to give up waiting:

At one stage the squirrel had to tend its arm:

Then it was this GSW who kept the little birds away:

That's a pre-made frame, and if you look at the corners you can see it makes no better job of it than I do with my dashed lines ;)

EDIT: Omitted the pot-bellied Crestie:

All the Tits were here today, plus Chaffinch, but no newbies.  Last at the feeder were 4 Coalies!

IMAGICAT