Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 August 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON (THURSDAY)

I hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful week and the power stays on! 

• Lindybird: Had to Google "garden trug." The things we learn!
  • A wee bit freezy last few days, min last night 2 C. Minus 1 in Barossa. However sunny, no rain and I have managed weeding sessions last 2 days. Last visit our lawn man asked OH if he wanted the weeds sprayed. Quickly OH told him that the Missus had spring-flowering bulbs amongst the weeds! Next door neighbours renovations proceed slowly. So far it looks ugly. The house in the back street is up, bricks & roof done. And the one behind us that we have been expecting to go for months, has had roof tiles removed and nothing more for 2 weeks.
  • AQ: Our local news had a video from OZ of kangaroos leaping about in snow - unusual in that area? Maybe your neighbors are waiting for warmer weather?
  • Annette/AQ: I saw that VIDEO, too. I wondered whether it was common in Australia. 

Hi, all.

• ANNETTE, DIANE - That video was taken near Goulburn (NE of Canberra) in NSW. At the weekend the media made a big fuss of a Canberra football match played as snow was falling. Spectators too busy filming snow to watch match! We do have snow in Aussieland, especially in Victorian Alps. Last week Thredbo, famous to skiers, reported snowfall of 1 metre. Meanwhile in Darwin current temp is 30 C. We are a big country.
  • Good Morning. Dry here but cloudy. I didn't get back on here as intended yesterday, because for some unfathomable reason our WiFi is playing up again, and I didn't have the energy to come and fire up this desktop. Still don't have WiFi this morning....

Yesterday afternoon I sorted some more papers after our (late) lunch - we didn't want much as we'd enjoyed the cakes earlier. Then the doorbell rang and it was a young relative, with an invitation in her hand for the Christening of her new baby - he was on her other arm! I enjoyed a cuddle, complete with drool but then we were dismayed to find that they are holding the Christening on the very weekend we are going to our Eldests, at the end of August to celebrate Amber's birthday. Do wish people would send out invites in plenty of time, we could possibly have included both events with some forward planning but do not feel inclined to change things at this late stage and possibly upset our son's plans as well.

After she had departed, we went out into the front garden armed with cutters and loppers, and my OH climbed the ladder and with my directions, cut down to a half of its size, a big holly tree which set itself into our hedge years ago. There was an awful lot of debris, but at least its done now. When it first appeared we used to put Christmas lights into it but its go too big for that now. Speaking of Christmas, I have just ordered my Christmas cards from the RSPB brochure for this year!!
  • I too saw the snow in Aus. Amazing pictures of the kangaroos..... wonder what they thought of it....

AQ, sorry to hear that you've so much development going on in your vicinity. You must be wondering "what next?" People do seem to get permission for some pretty ugly extensions these days. Keep warm!!

I was going to say a lot more but have now forgotten most of it. Meanwhile, here are a couple of pics, as I am looking at my last 200 photos which include the Flower Show of course, and I will post some of those later today.

Our garden last month: My OH is very fond of this rambling rose which gets bigger every year, and this year the Crocosmia in front of it has now grown to a spectacular size:

Behind it all as a backdrop is our neighbours Magnolia, which is this week deciding its Spring again and it flowering once more.

To the right of it are my yellow lilies, they keep blooming and are so vivid.

Close up of one of them.

Have a good day, Everyone!

• LINDY - what colour in your garden - just lovely. I love the rose.
    AQ - Weeds - weeds, I've got a new variety this year, a sort of yellow thing that looks like a wild poppy. I must look it up. Whatever it is, it is growing like wildfire.
    I've just heard that the Danes will visit in November. After a quiet summer it will be a busy autumn in this house!
  • Heck, I think it is a buttercup. I keep pulling them up but more appear all the time.....
  • "Buttercups are coming up
    All around the place.
    I turn around and then I've found
    Another in its place.

I dig them up, I spray them too -
    But they just blow me raspberries -
    Boo!!"