DYFI OSPREY PROJECT – August 2019 to end of February 2020

Link to previous thread:   Dyfi Osprey Project - July 2019

The season so far:   Telyn (Blue 3J) arrived back 30 March and Monty on 1 April.  Telyn laid 3 eggs 17, 20 and 23 April hatching 26, 27 and 29 May.    The three chicks were ringed and named on 28 June as follows: #1 Blue KA1 (F) “Berthyn”,   #2 Blue KA2 (M) “Peris” and #3 Blue KA3 (M) “Hesgyn”.    Peris aged 52 days fledged first on 18 July followed by Berthyn aged 54 days on 20 July and finally Hesgyn aged 53 days fledged on 21 July.

August has now arrived and the migration window opens.  Teyln and Monty have done a fantastic job raising these three beautiful young ospreys ensuring they have had the best start in life to undertake their first migration.   So until such times they go their independent ways and head off south, enjoy!

Link to Webcam\Copyright:   © DOP - Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust

• "Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• 2 miffed at 2 persistent magpies Another bird on birch perch and sounds coming from cam post

As the young ospreys confronted the 2 corvids there were wonderful noises coming from both sides

C MWT DOP

• Now I see that there are actually 2 birds on the birch perch Magpies gone and one youngster tucks into some fish closely watched by their sibling

Oh Ow! Magpie tried coming back
  • Thanks for the new thread, Karen, and thanks to All for the pics and posts. Fingers crossed that things continue on the nest calmly and uneventfully and that Monty continues to be a great fisherbird. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the captures of 4 birds on the nest and 3 of them with a fish. Monty outdid himself that day, the 27th of August.

Edit:  Or did Telyn bring in one or two of those fish?!

Kind regards, Ann

• patily said:
    According to chat Peris had the fish and when he gave up Berthyn took it

This was the fish - very fine and pitifully alive:

Telyn got a flounder:

Was one corvid feeding the other?

Canada geese:

Moo-cows living a life of Riley - for the time being ;)

Skipping corvid for CLARE Stuck out tongue winking eye

Flying corvid ;)  (No energy for getting better shots of the Magpies, no zooming person was on duty for the footage I've got.)

I think this was Telyn scratching her earole:

And I think this was a bat.

©Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust

©Dyfi Osprey Project

• Nobody in sight but somebody certainly making a racket from nearby, possibly on the cam post
  • Thereis a terrible din seeming to come from all 3 at times and an adult turning a deaf ear on the birch perch The third juvie is on the cam post I think from the direction of the sound I think if dad doesn't bring breakfast soon, someboy is goingto burst something

C MWT DOP

• Telyn was on the Birch perch earlier and Monty has been in but with only a clump of bedding.
    That's why there is so much shouting!
  • Monty on his favourite perch

C MWT DOP

• (As usual, big gaps in my coverage as I don't notice when the download limit is reached.)

Mike B said:
    Telyn was on the Birch perch earlier and Monty has been in but with only a clump of bedding.
    That's why there is so much shouting!

Monty rectified the situation asap with a whole live FLOUNDER!

And not long afterwards Telyn brought another FLOUNDER - looked whole, I didn't check it for movement:

One each :)

Yesterday moo-cows, today baa-lambs by the score ;)

Hesgyn saw a spare FLOUNDER and made a beeline for it !!!

Somehow this not-flounder slipped thru the net - well, it is slimmer, ha ha ;)

I couldn't tell if this was an intruder-chase or the family having fun:

A juvie gets fed supper and flies off, Telyn (I think) ate some herself and flew up to the birch perch - no-one else in sight.

©Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust

©Dyfi Osprey Project