The Scottish Ospreys from extinction to survival by Philip Brown

This is a wonderful book describing how the ospreys were first extirpated in Scotland around 1916 and then were found to return in 1954.

A number of people on the forum now have a copy so we can have a discussion about it.

Here is what the book looks like.  Its ISBN number is: 9780434089109

• You are lucky to have seen a total solar eclipse. I have only seen 2 partials that were visible from Cumbria, using pinholes, water and polariser and suchlike. Also it is usualy cloudy here!

Glad to know the ospreys are OK for their fish!

• Oh yes ospreys tend to stay close to fish.

Here is a good link for Baja. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baja_California

• Deep joy....my Philip Brown book arrived this morning, courtesy of AbeBooks.  I'm going on holiday to the Lakes later this week so I'm going to take it with me.  I'll be staying near Whinlatter - I know the Osprey place is now closed, but does anyone know if there's any Osprey info. at the Forest Centre?  Thank you.

• Yes, the view points are not manned from 1st Sept, and the ospreys have now gone, but Whinlatter does have information, and they show the dvd 'Spirit of the Lake' on their screens. When I went there yesterday they still had a live stream of the empty nest !
    Have a lovely time in the Lakes !  It is raining at the moment though...

• Sheila S said:

Deep joy....my Philip Brown book arrived this morning, courtesy of AbeBooks.  I'm going on holiday to the Lakes later this week so I'm going to take it with me.  I'll be staying near Whinlatter - I know the Osprey place is now closed, but does anyone know if there's any Osprey info. at the Forest Centre?  Thank you.

Fantastic news Sheila. You certainly have got some good holiday reading matter. How many days did it take to arrive? (Oh 8 days I see...that is quite long).

I have found a few new searching tools for books.

Have a great time at the lakes.

• Thanks, ChrisyB and Tiger!  Horribly bad planning on my part to arrive on holiday within a stone's throw of an Osprey nest when they've just flown.....  But I shall hole up (doubtless in the rain) in my holiday cottage and have my very own Osprey experience with my book! 

• Sheila S said:

Thanks, ChrisyB and Tiger!  Horribly bad planning on my part to arrive on holiday within a stone's throw of an Osprey nest when they've just flown.....  But I shall hole up (doubtless in the rain) in my holiday cottage and have my very own Osprey experience with my book! 

Please come back and tell us all about it! Love to hear your comments.

• I  live in the USA. I got an email that my book  was shipped on August 28th. It says it will take 14-45 days to get here. It has been  21 days and I am still waiting

It said it was shipped by "surface mail" Surface mail across the  UK will be slow . It has to cross the Atlantic to get here so I wonder if that means it will  cross the Atlantic by ship .  A ship takes a  few weeks to  cross the Atlantic 

If books could talk  this book would have a great travel story to tell :) 

The book was not available from any USA bookstore so   my only  option was to get it from a  bookstore in the UK. 

I  will let you know when it arrives 

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Barbara Jean   Sorry to hear that it has not arrived yet but then surface mail is slow. No doubt it is stuck in a container somewhere. When I have sent books to the USA I have used airmail. One got to New York in three days. However two of the other took seven days to less central locations. So I would say that New York City seems to be quickest but anywhere outside takes longer.

Still the book has been around for 31 years so far!

I look forward to hearing that it has arrived.

• Tiger  I knew it would take a while for the book to get here.

In the past it has  taken 10 days to  2 weeks to get something from the UK . And those things didn't ship by surface  mail . 

I live in the state of Wisconsin which is in the middle  northern  part of the USA only a few  hundred miles from the Canadian border. 

It is only  a 6 hour drive ( 360 miles) if I  drive down   around the  bottom of Lake Michigan and into Winsor Ontario Canada through Detroit Michigan . 

Formerly known as Barbara Jean