The Scottish Ospreys from extinction to survival by Philip Brown

This is a wonderful book describing how the ospreys were first extirpated in Scotland around 1916 and then were found to return in 1954.

A number of people on the forum now have a copy so we can have a discussion about it.

Here is what the book looks like.  Its ISBN number is: 9780434089109

• Copied from the weekly chat, posted just now........

Annette: You said above, 'Am I the only person who's sort of "let go" of this year's brood before they've even left?  I think the lack of rings or sat tags is part of it - not being able to stay in touch with them once they migrate, whereas when Rothes and maybe Mallachie come back, we'll be able to ID them. All a bit odd and unexpected'.

Speaking for my own solution to the situation, which I acknowledge is a disincentive...........

That's why I am following Tiger's lead and looking into the past as an interesting subject, following the 'extirpation', (fitting that new word in wherever I can , ;-0) and re-establishment of Osprey in Scotland.

Also, when time permits, I shall produce 2008 stats.

Lastly, there is still a chance that Nethy, the 2008 chick who is missing and ringed (white AY) will turn up.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• In the mid'50's a book was published, showing the osprey absent from Scotland and the rest of the UK, Western Europe and only a summer resident in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. The dotted line shows the limit in the Mediterranean area close to the sea for winter residents. The Osprey map is the bottom right.

A Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe. Collins. First Published 1954.

These images are from the 2nd Revised Edition, 1956.

Just when the discoveries, being discussed here were taking place.

By courtesy of Collins.

• I so like this map which gives the position of the various nests from 1954-1959

• Tiger on your recommendation I  bought this book from Abebooks . It is coming from the  UK.  I don't know how long it will take to  get the the USA,  but I think about 10 days. 

I have  Roy Dennis'  books " A Life of Ospreys" which I was able to  get from Amazon here. 

I had never heard this book . It is not sold here  even in used book stores

Thanks!!  

Barbara

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Barbara Jean   Oh I think you will enjoy it. As I said before I bought my first copy nearly 30 years ago in a discount bookshop. I had no idea then I would still be talking about it in 2010.

I look forward to discussing it with you and and the others who have bought copies recently. They must be wonder why people are suddenly buying it.

• hi tiger is abebooks site a trust worthy site i have not used them before and would like to get my hands on one of those books from philip brown

• Alison W said:

hi tiger is abebooks site a trust worthy site i have not used them before and would like to get my hands on one of those books from philip brown

Well I was recommended them by a friend a few years ago and I have never had any trouble when I used them. They do not really sell the books themselves as the books come from whatever seller is offering the book for sale. The books I have ordered have always arrived within days.

• ALICAT: Abebooks is a subsidiary of Amazon.com. My Credit Card debit was from Dusseldorf, their European office.

http://www.abebooks.com/books/CompanyInformation/

• Tiger Wednesday I  think you said there were 28 copies of Scottish Ospreys on Abebooks. There are now 23  

It is a large  business  , but if they  notice what they are selling  they  must be scratching their heads as to the  reason such a old book is suddenly in demand. :)

I received an email that  the  book was shipped today and  the estimated  arrival date is October 28th . LOL  I am sure it won't take that long.  I have ordered  things  from the UK in the past  and they took  about  2 weeks to get here  

Thanks again

Barbara

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Barbara  Jean     I do not think they scratch their heads too much. I think they just put the price up. I wonder if the vendors with the books priced silly hope that one day their's is the only one left.

You can imagine it. The reporter on the news saying "There has been a rush on the book "Scottish  Ospreys" "

BTW back in July there were 33 copies available.