Osprey Chat Thread for July/August 2019

Osprey chat thread. 

• SheilaFE said:

Interesting thought, Hilary.  From Kielder blogs - "2018 was the 10th successive year of Ospreys breeding in Kielder Forest", which suggests they had at least one nest then, but I'm not sure who.  YA hatched in 2007 so it wasn't him!  Yellow 37 was "found to be nesting at KIelder in 2013".  Both of course hatched at Glaslyn.

There was a pair of ospreys around Kielder but they were kept secret for some years. They do get mentioned in Birdforum  They were both unringed. 

• I remember that eyebrows were raised at that comment at the time.

There was definitely a third osprey nest at Rutland in 2008 as the land owner published a picture of it.

Then there was the saga of whether Green DE laid eggs or not.

Mystery also surrounds how many nests there were in the Lake District. In Roy Dennis's book he lists 3 in 1999 I think.

A bird magazine in 2004 listed an osprey nest at a Cumbria lake (not Esthwaite). But that suddenly disappeared of the radar.
  • SheilaFE said:

Interesting thought, Hilary.  From Kielder blogs - "2018 was the 10th successive year of Ospreys breeding in Kielder Forest", which suggests they had at least one nest then, but I'm not sure who.  YA hatched in 2007 so it wasn't him!  Yellow 37 was "found to be nesting at KIelder in 2013".  Both of course hatched at Glaslyn.

2009=year 1 not zero, 2018=year 10. Ospreys were not breeding in Kielder Forest, as far as is known, prior to 2009

• Hazel b said:

There was a pair of ospreys around Kielder but they were kept secret for some years. They do get mentioned in Birdforum  They were both unringed. 

Ospreys summered in Kielder Forest before the first known breeding in 2009. The previous year a nest was built, probably by the same unringed pair, but there was no breeding. These facts are documented on various official sites.

• Are we clear if we are counting nests, nests with pairs, breeding nests or successful nests?

I have always understood that the first breeding in England was in 2001 when Bassenthwaite and Rutland Site B each produced a single fledgling.

Hilary J

• My sincere apologies if everyone has already seen this article. The Audubon Society published a piece on ospreys, which includes an interview with Alan Poole. The osprey population is growing in the U.S., and the birds often nest on utility poles. They increasingly are sparking fires and causing power outages. The article outlines what's being done about the expanding problem. HERE

At the end of the article are links to three more essays on osprey issues.

• Oh my goodness DIANE Not a good situation for opreys or people Will read the article in a while Thanks for the link
  • Unknown said:
    The Audubon Society published a piece on ospreys, which includes an interview with Alan Poole. The osprey population is growing in the U.S., and the birds often nest on utility poles. They increasingly are sparking fires and causing power outages. The article outlines what's being done about the expanding problem. HERE

What a great story thanks for sharing Diane. I love the photo of the guys up near the nest and the osprey hovering overhead, waiting for them to finish! The associated stories are also worth a read.

• Many thanks for posting the link to such an interesting article, Diana, and its further links. I concur with Korky's comments!
    It reminded me of Operation Jimmy, in Wales, after the very sad death of Blue CU2(15), aka Jimmy, a 2012 Threave chick, who intruded at Dyfi in 2014 and in 2015 was seen on Hiraeth Moor. He died In May 2015 - electrocuted on an electricity pole serving a deserted cottage. Gail Edgley contacted the electricity company and campaigned for modifications to transformers. She also persuaded the company to erect three new nest poles, each with perches.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Jimmy was also seen at Glaslyn as a suitor for Mrs G before Aran arrived on the scene.

Hilary J