Osprey Chat Thread for July/August 2019

Osprey chat thread. 

• That info was in the link

This is a juvenile female osprey; one of a brood of three (two females and one male) and she is the youngest. Her female parent is a Norwegian osprey which was ringed as a chick 40 kilometres south of Oslo on 27th June 1992; she was found breeding at a nest in Morayshire in 1996 to 1999 and then moved to a nest in Nairnshire in 2000 and ousted the female S07. She bred successfully with the old male, which is now 15 years old and was reared at a nest just 3 kilometres distance. These birds are also the parents of chicks translocated to Rutland water in 2000 (T05) and 2001 (U08); while the male was the parent of R06 in 1999.

• Tiger, I'm sure you know all of this but I was fascinated to learn that not only is 5F a grand-daughter of the Norwegian through her father, 08(01), as you reported above, but 5F's Mum, Yellow 30(05), is also a grand-daughter of the Norwegian through her Mum. Yellow 30(05)'s Mum is the female 05(00), and she is a daughter of the Norwegian as you stated and also the great matriarch of Rutland (as a partner of the famous Mr Rutland, 03(97)).

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Tiger, I'm sure you know all of this but I was fascinated to learn that not only is 5F a grand-daughter of the Norwegian through her father, 08(01), as you reported above, but 5F's Mum, Yellow 30(05), is also a grand-daughter of the Norwegian through her Mum. Yellow 30(05)'s Mum is the female 05(00), and she is a daughter of the Norwegian as you stated and also the great matriarch of Rutland (as a partner of the famous Mr Rutland, 03(97)).

All correct. Interestingly no sign of greatnest until the Norwegian moved in 2000 and ousted  S07. Maybe it was a good job she did. 

We see over and over again that ospreys prefer to oust a rival than build a nest themselves. That way they got not only a nest but a partner.  

• Ringing News:

I’ve updated the list at the beginning of the thread with ringing details from another three nests:   Bassenthwaite, one female chick ringed Blue 400 on July 8, Threave:  3 chicks ringed Blue NK2(F), Blue NK3(M) and Blue NK4(M) on July 12 and recently three chicks ringed at Tweed Valley - Blue 301(F), Blue 302(M) and Blue 303(F).  Blue 301 and 303, being the heaviest, were also tagged.

Just Kielder 5A to go which I understand from Jaydee’s update is being ringed next week. 

• Hazel b said:

Osprey chat thread. 

Wonderful job Karen 

• Thanks, Karen. Great to have ringing details for young Ospreys from the most followed nests of 2019 all in one place.

Kind regards, Ann

• Wonderful eference Thanks KAREN
    You know of course youv'e landed yourself with the job every year from now on LOL!
  • LOL Patily - pleased you, and others, have found the reference useful :-)
  • The chicks in Kielder 5A have now been ringed - a very large female ringed Blue 208 and named Cragside and a male, Blue 209 named Chipside.   More details can be found in Jaydee’s Nest 5A update 

I have updated the Ringing List  at the beginning of this thread which is now complete listing all chicks and their IDs for the public nests we know of and report on.

The total for the 2019 season for the public nests is 46 - 20 males and 26 females.   

• Thanks Karen , 46 is around 25% of the total number ringed in UK in a season.