LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - JULY 2019

Link to June 2019 thread (Following Karen's excellent example of providing useful links....)

On 1 July, chick 1 is 30 days old. Chick 2, from egg 3, is 27 days old. 

Apart from the sad failure-to-hatch of egg 2 , everything has been reasonably settled on the nest, and Louis is in the running for Mary's 'Fisherman of the Year Award'.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• There is a post on the WT chat from George Anderson that starts with:
    "Since ringing the birds on the 5th Lewis has been watching their development on camera and wonders if Mallie might (and I stress might) possibly be a boy."
    Where George says 5th it should read 4th. I haven't copied the entire post to here, the post contains further thoughts from Lewis. Ian

• 20-23 Nice headless Fish. JJ2 is the winner of the grab

• Ian S said:

There is a post on the WT chat from George Anderson that starts with:
    "Since ringing the birds on the 5th Lewis has been watching their development on camera and wonders if Mallie might (and I stress might) possibly be a boy."
    Where George says 5th it should read 4th. I haven't copied the entire post to here, the post contains further thoughts from Lewis. Ian

Interesting Ian.
    From a size and maybe behavior point of view..I can def see where Lewis's possible change of heart in respect of JJ0's sex is coming from.

• If anyone scrolls back on the feed, can they check at about 20.48, 20.49? I thought Mallie had a bit of fishing line & maybe a weight from a mouthful Aila gave her. She didn't swallow it as it ended up on the nest & it could be fish innards, but it looked like fishing line to me. Ian

• Looked like both line and weight to me, Ian!

Edit: I see on chat, Liz thinks it could well be fish innards

Copyright Woodland Trust/ Loch Arkaig

• I'd agree. I saw Aila pull the weight or maybe a wee fish (?) or whatever, then feed it to Mallie. She seemed to swallow some line but as you say Ian, the weight eventually dropped. Let's hope it is indeed fish innards!
  • @Ian S. I have just replayed that bit of the stream on playback numerous times....and right at the end of JJ0's feed, she/he ( Stuck out tongue Ian) again picks up what we hope is just innards, and appears to eat it....but I am hampered to get a clear view...by either the twig that JJ2 was messing with, or JJ2 herself...as she steps in front of JJ0 to claim some fish for herself.
    I have had it fullscreen and under a magnifying glass.... and still cant make my mind up if it was harmless or not. Disappointed

Maybe sylla with her 'super enhancing' abilities can throw more light on the matter Smiley

• Both having a good flapping session
    I think what you wee discussing is probably not innards as it is still there I thinkin the middle of the nest Surely if it was innards ila would have tidied away by now Fingers crossed they ignore it
  • Both settled for a rest They watched somebody fly by, their heads in sync
  • Squeally feed in progress

(c) WT Loch Arkaig